tjo

Well Known Member
Just stoked that I soloed ths week. It took me a couple of hours longer than I had planned because the Cub that I started my training in busted and I had to switch to a 172. Anyway, one step closer!

Tim

Nothing wrong with getting a few more hours of dual. Ask all kinds of questions such as fuel burn, leaning, slips, etc etc!

Congrats on the solo!

Fortunately I started in a Cub becuase I want to have my tailwheel endorsement from the get-go. Slips in a Cub are a blast, slips in a 172 aren't nearly so interesting, but they still work.

Tim

Way to GO!! The ever faithful 172 is one of my favorite planes. I did my solo and SEL in a 172. Many fond memories.

An accident I nearly had!

Several years ago I had a share in a 172, but never flew it as I spent all my time in Tailwinds or Rv's. Then a friend asked me to fly some disabled kids with terminal illnesses.

He flew us to the venue and took some of the kids up then it was my turn. I just was not prepared for how heavy the controls were, how much trim you had to wind in on that wheel. I should have got checked out in the thing first!!!! No harm was done and the passengers never knew I had underestimated the difference in types as i was strong enough to counteract the out of trim forces but my attention was sure focussed on getting that trim right after that. Lesson learnt!!!

That was the last time I flew a 172, and the share was sold immediately.

Congrats on the solo but bear in mind the opposite of what I said above is true of RV's, they are much better to fly than a 172, do what you ask of them when you think about it and are comparatively light on the controls. Get thoroughly checked out on type before flying one solo.

Congratulations!

It's been a very long time but I still remember mine. I think everyone on this forum remembers their solo as well. Congratulations on completing that first big step.