What's not really addressed, is the fact that we're usually picking up between eight to eleven satellites, plus whatever WAAS satellite that happens to be in working order. The weak signals as well as those that don't closely agree to the others can be rejected by the reciever.

In the meantime, I don't have to fly that particular day. I could always get the new Sporty's 400 hand-held nav/com that includes ILS and glideslope. This would be something to play with when I'm bored. I just hope I don't hit a mountain or other aircraft, because my eyes are stuck in the cockpit triangulating a position. Scanning charts & triangulating is like "texting" in an automobile........as your eyes are no longer paying attention to what's ahead. At least that's my opinion, and I stand by it. With my large & colorful GPS moving map, I can scan for other aircraft while the GPS driven auto-pilot keeps me on the magenta colored line. :)

As you can probably tell, I'm no longer a fan of the VOR system. I don't support AOPA on this either.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Mr Adamson, I suspect that you could do lots of flying using pilotage. I am thinking of flying to Page AZ soon and will probably do it without GPS. I have been there several times and could probably do it without a map.

Mr Adamson, I suspect that you could do lots of flying using pilotage. I am thinking of flying to Page AZ soon and will probably do it without GPS. I have been there several times and could probably do it without a map.

Actually, I do fly to Page all the the time...............using pilotage. I know the western United States rather well. I've been going to Lake Powell since the dam gates were closed in the early sixties. It was camping and boating back then. As to GPS, XM weather sure worked well when I flew back last November. I knew the weather hadn't been the best in Salt Lake City for the return trip. I called a fellow RV flyer before sunup. His recommendation at the time was to stay put. I called my son a while later, and he said the skies had cleared to the west. Using XM weather, I was able to watch the storm system move eastward, and it's timing. This allowed me to fly more to the west, until the storm had passed the SLC area. Page to SLC is a bit less than two hours. During the whole time, with XM, it was easy to see what the cloud ceilings were over various airports along the way. That's a much better method than contacting an FSS.

And quite honestly, I fly pilotage much more than I project. I just like the advantages of GPS over VOR's because they include exact locations of restricted airspace, weather upddates, precise fuel management, "time management" and terrain and obstacles if VFR flight goes amiss.

One thing for sure, is that if the GPS falters for a bit due to solar storms, I won't be lost, and my aircraft won't immediately fall from the sky.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Aye Mateys,
Get ye up to the bridge at first light, shoot a few stars, throw in a local apparent noon, and ye are good to go.
Ye don't need no stinkin' GPS.

BlackBeard Bill
Old Navy Veteran
:)

The current GPS system is good, but not perfect. The new L5 GPS signal that is coming on all future satellites will make it more robust, but that's not fully implemented yet. For IFR operations, the ILS and VOR still have a purpose.

Dissimilar redundancy is your friend.

TODR

Aye Mateys,
Get ye up to the bridge at first light, shoot a few stars, throw in a local apparent noon, and ye are good to go.
BlackBeard Bill
Old Navy Veteran

But Sir,
Without GPS, we might sail right off the edge of the earth!

Aye Mateys,

BlackBeard Bill
Old Navy Veteran

I'm staring at my two beautiful sextants on the shelf here in my study Matey....love to have them, loved to use them - but can't seem to remember all the steps in sight reductions these days.....

I'm staring at my two beautiful sextants on the shelf here in my study Matey....love to have them, loved to use them - but can't seem to remember all the steps in sight reductions these days.....

I'm sure I would be hard pressed to do a sight reduction today also. I bet the Navy has really changed with GPS, and gas turbines replacing the old steam systems.

Fair winds & following seas, me mateys!
Blackbeard Bill