todehnal

Well Known Member
My bully hawk softstart module is now intermittent. Occasionally it produces no A ignition until after start. New units seem to be unavailable. Curious if we have RV 12s running without any softstart. I would like to just remove the module and run the engine the way Rotax built and sold the engine. It’s been flying since 2011 and I have 650 hours on it. Thanks for your comments. Tom.

The reason for the soft start is to retard the timing during the start and about 8 seconds afterwards. It makes the start less violent and easier on the gearbox and mounts. A low battery and no soft start is a good way to damage the one-way which is a lot of work to replace.

I understand the funtionality of softstart. Protecting the spray clutch was my reason for buying and installing it during the build. I would gladly buy a new one if it were available. But. Since I have been unsuccessful it getting a new one, I was hopeful that I could get some responses from owners who have experience running without it. My next choice would be new modules at $1125/each. I really was hoping not to go there. Still looking forward to some experience out there. Thanks. Tom.

I understand the funtionality of softstart. Protecting the spray clutch was my reason for buying and installing it during the build. I would gladly buy a new one if it were available. But. Since I have been unsuccessful it getting a new one, I was hopeful that I could get some responses from owners who have experience running without it. My next choice would be new modules at $1125/each. I really was hoping not to go there. Still looking forward to some experience out there. Thanks. Tom.
Might be worth asking Carmo Electronics in the Netherlands if they can repair it.

Tom
You don’t have to buy 2 soft start modules. Replace The A module with a new soft start and start with B off, just like you do with the bully hawk. Keep the non-soft start module, they come in handy for trouble shooting or replacing the B module if need be.

Tom
You don’t have to buy 2 soft start modules. Replace The A module with a new soft start and start with B off, just like you do with the bully hawk. Keep the non-soft start module, they come in handy for trouble shooting or replacing the B module if need be.
The bully hawk web site appears to be down...have they gone out of business?

I have early S/N RV-12 with original green label CDI’s which do not have soft-start feature. TT = 925 with no problems. I keep battery connected 24/7 to Odyssey charger when plane is hangered. Fully-charged battery allows powerful cranking from starter. Engine never hesitates to pull thru initial compression stroke and fire up on one or two blades. Odyssey charger is designed for 24/7 connection to battery. The charger is not a trickle charger… it only provides charge when battery meets min voltage. Works a charm….

Another option is aftermarket CDI made by [email protected] ($256) which have soft start feature. Units have long wire leads so they can be mounted on firewall instead of on hot vibrating engine. If / when I need to replace my original green-label CDI’s… this will be my choice.

Attachments

• Sportflight CDI.jpg
    Sportflight CDI.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks Guys. Great comments. All in all, I think the best solution is for me to buy one new unit as suggessted by Tony T. Also, there have been times when a spare unit would have been a great testing tool, and I woiuld have one on the shelf. It looks like Aircraft Spruce is selling these at about $200 less than Rotax suppliers are selling them. That is quite a savings! On the other hand, my experience with Lockwood has been nothing less than steller and I will probably just accept their pricing structure and continue to buy my parts from them. Honestly, Lockwood is like famlily when it comes to needing help.........Tom