RBR

Well Known Member
My tanks were sealed 1 month ago, but now I require to access one of them to rectify an issue. Whilst the hex head screws came out without difficulty, the same can't be said for trying to pry the inspection cover off! Before I damage something, what guidance would there be on trying to soften the stuff first? A very good bead was originally applied in lieu of the cork gasket.

Very many thanks, as always........

RBR

(For those of you yet to tackle their tanks and were wondering how well this stuff sets, let me assure you it is incredibly tenacious in its gripping power!!)

You might also try inserting a thin metal blade, I use a 6-inch metal ruler made of stainless that is very thin, under the inspection plate and work that around the plate cutting the proseal that bonds the plate to the tank. It's not likely that you would be able to just pry the plate off the proseal without bending metal - but you should be able to break the proseal bond significantly first.

And as Scott said - heat helps.

Access door sealant

I used the Chemseal 3330 (if I recall correctly) to seal the hatch. It has a lower adhesion, thus allowing easier removal of the hatch. I had the fuel tank service bulletin to comply with and was glad I had used the 3330. Used it again when I closed the hatch up. Highly recommended.

http://www.flamemaster.com/sealants.html

I bought the 6 oz cartridge from Aviall.... more than enough for 2 hatches.

plastic knife

some time ago there were reports of successfully using a toothed plastic knife (camping stuff or the single use ones) for that purpose.

Mario

A plastic scraper is the common practice. If you use of a heat gun you'll have to be careful because if the metal reaches 100c/212f the heat treatment can be ruined.