Bob Hoffman

Well Known Member
Over the weeking I was getting ready to fit the two halves to my cowling when I realized I need to order the required "soft" rivets. I understand I'll need two sizes , does anyone have the proper numbers for these??
Went on to Vans site and only found "AD"'s, it is my understanding that I'll need "A"'s (soft) am I wrong ?
Bob

Correct, you want 'A' rivets. More specifically:

AN426A-x-y (or MS20426A-x-y)

where x=diameter in 32nds
and y=length in 16ths

'A' == 1100 aluminum (soft)
'AD' = 2117 aluminum

more info at: http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/solidrivets.pdf

Aircraft Spruce and Genuine Aircraft Hardware carry them.

Edited:
Doh! Cowling..........the critical word here is cowling. As Scott McDaniels says below.......soft rivets are not called out on the cowling. AD rivets work fine on the prepreg (epoxy) cowling.

Last edited:
Are these rivets called for in the plans? If so why doesn't Vans supply them? Or is this a change you are making?

Correct, you want 'A' rivets. More specifically:

AN426A-x-y (or MS20426A-x-y)

QUOTE]

Not correct.

The AD rivets work just fine in the prepreg (harder material) cowling. That is why "A" rivets are not supplied nor are the called out in the plans.

I used the normal AN rivets in my prepreg cowl and had no issues squeezing them into counter sunk holes. I countersunk a little extra and was able to easily bury the heads for a nice, clean resolve. None ever loosened in the five years I owned the plane. I never saw any notes on using any alternative or soft rivet.

Roberta

Wow! Thanks everyone, good catch , Here is what happened.The original cowling was the "old" style and used the "soft" rivets,this is being replaced by the "new " style cowling , but I didn't realize that the rivet requirements would change.
Thanks for catching my mistake.
Bob

Here is what happened.The original cowling was the "old" style and used the "soft" rivets,this is being replaced by the "new " style cowling , but I didn't realize that the rivet requirements would change.
Thanks for catching my mistake.
Bob
I used standard AD rivets in my "old" cowling and 17 years later they still look great.