woxofswa

Well Known Member
Let me preface this by saying that my only experience with a RV10 is a quick fam ride in Aurora. I haven't dug deeply into the design, but as an owner of a Socata TB that is very similar, I have noticed a couple of TB features that might be preferrable in a 10.

The first one I would like to discuss with the brain trust is the door latch.
The doors on the 10 and on TB's are almost identical. One difference is the door latch mechanism. On a TB, the door has two catches at the bottom of the door which are secured by two latches in the lower frame which are activated by a lever in the lower frame. I am thinking of incorporating this design when I build my ten. Here are the advantages that I see.
1. Moving the door lever into the main frame allows the positioning of a comfortable armrest on the lower part of the door itself. When I flew in the 10, I really missed the TB armrest. The current design of the 10 precludes this because the latch lever is in the way.
2. The design of the TB is such that the door remains ajar until it is latched securely. This is a safety feature because it makes it much harder to take off without latching the door. (it has been done nonetheless.) Also, in theory, if a pax inadvertantly opened a TB door in flight, the laminar flow would open the door slightly, but the latches would still prevent the door from opening all the way as the door has to be tight against the frame for the latches to disengage.
3. With the door mechanism in the fuselage frame on a TB it is a simple matter of removing the interior panel to inspect and lubricate the mechanism. I don't know how it is on the 10.
4. TB's, especially the latter models, have very good door locks that actually secure the aircraft. I don't remember the lock on the ten, but this might be another advantage.
5. It might be possible to secure the entire mechanism from a parted out TB or even new parts from the factory themselves. Their parts are reasonable priced, although weakness in the dollar hurts right now.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
2 thoughts

1. KISS.

2. "Simplify, and add lightness"-Harry Hawker.

The only advantage I see is the armrest.