jtrusso

Well Known Member
Since tomorrow is Father's Day I'm going to take full advantage and fly some where for a late lunch. Anybody have any suggestions on a spot with a must try restaurant either on the field or near by? I'm based in Torrance and am looking for something that's about 1 RV hour away, give or take.

My usuals are Santa Barbara or SLO to the north, Mojave or Victorville heading NE or Palomar to the south. I've flown to these places so many times Iniw I'm actually getting bored flying to them over and over again. I never thought I'd get bored flying, but I guess I'm getting old or jaded or maybe a little of both. :p

Thanksnin advanced for the ideas!

Possibilities

Hello John,

I?m not sure about ?must try,? but you ?might try? Norm?s Hangar restaurant at Brackett Field in Pomona. If you?re interested, you should probably check to see if they?re open tomorrow (Phone: 909-596-6675) before you launch. They?re normally open on Sundays 7am-3pm. A friend and I ate there today. The sandwiches were ?good;? nothing spectacular, but at least on a par with other airport restaurants. We sat at an outside table under their covered patio watching airplanes land and take-off. That was nice. Breakfast is served all day.

Other ?good? possibilities: Flo?s at Chino, Barnstorm Restaurant at Big Bear (plus usually cheap fuel), Maniac Mike?s at Cable, French Valley Caf?, and the Waypoint Caf? at Camarillo.

There are other airport restaurants within your range such as the ones at El Monte, Hesperia, and Apple Valley (a new one with good reviews), but I don?t know much about them. There?s always the Catalina Airport?s ?DC-3? restaurant, but that?s an over-ocean flight of more than 26 miles.

Again, I would recommend calling ahead; phone numbers are online.

Maybe someone else will chime-in with more recommendations.

Have Fun on Father?s Day and, Above All, Be Safe!

Thanks for the ideas Bill. Bracket sounds like fun, I haven't been there in about 15 years, since I was learning to fly. I did my training out of Santa Barbara and El Monte, and my El Monte instructor liked to do touch and goes at Bracket. I've landed there many times, but never actually got out of the airplane. It's going to be either Bracket or Pismo.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there. Hopefully you'll have the chance to put some space between you and the ground today. :D

I'd like to add the Mexican Restaurant, El Indio, at Rosamond (L00) to the list as it's now open at 11am Mon-Saturday for lunch and dinner; Sundays at 10am Brunch, lunch and dinner :) Rosie

Thought I'd give you all an update on my father's day flight. When I got to the hangar the right main was completely flat. Two hours later with a new tube we were ready to go. A quick check of my watch and I realized I didn't have time to actually go any where. I would upacting as safety pilot for my partner in the plane as he flew 6 praise approaches into Torrance. It was a nice day to fly and I'm bummed I didn't get to try a new $100 hamburger. At least I was able to get up in the air, there's always next weekend.