Dbro172

Well Known Member
As I dream of the day of entering my phase one testing, I can only imagine what I will be given for a test area. Assuming I will be based at KSEE, KRNM, KMYF or maybe even KSDM. Can anyone comment on on what to expect for a box?

Thanks,

Shop wisely

I believe your Phase 1 area is up to the person that signs off your Airworthiness Certificate.

My area is a good size, with varied terrain, two towered (until the &$#%! furlough) fields, non-towered fields, and plenty of space for slow, cruise, glide, and climb tests.

PM me, and I can send an image of the area.

Phase 1

KRNM is a popular choice to base for Phase 1. You will roughly be able to fly north to Temecula Valley, East to the Salton Sea and South to the border however some of the populated area's directly south of Ramona are off limits. Brown Field and Borrego Springs Airports are within your area. It is a very large area great for wringing out a new RV. You will be restricted from flying west of Ramona.:)

WOW

KRNM is a popular choice to base for Phase 1. You will roughly be able to fly north to Temecula Valley, East to the Salton Sea and South to the border however some of the populated area's directly south of Ramona are off limits. Brown Field and Borrego Springs Airports are within your area. It is a very large area great for wringing out a new RV. You will be restricted from flying west of Ramona.:)

Wow, that is quite a bit larger than I had in mind.... Great.

Do your shopping...

Jim and I had the same DAR; I think this is why he flew (and I am flying) in the same area. It's my belief another DAR would not be required to grant the same area if you were also based at KRNM.

That said, I also believe the guidance for any Phase 1 flight test area will be to minimize damage/danger to persons and property, and thus the large "uninhabited" area. I've seen an image of a Phase 1 area near Riverside, and it's much smaller. This could be due to population density, DAR preferences, FAA whims, phase of the moon, grunion beaching... ;)

Of course I could be wrong about all this - all the more reason to shop for a MIDO or DAR, have a conversation or two, and get a service that works well with you and your needs.

Any test flight area must be approved by the local FSDO. The Riverside FSDO has a prepared area for each airport in its area and all of them are very small.

The latest version of FAA Order 8130.2 requires this test area approval and all DARs must follow the order.