kritsher

Well Known Member
My avionics are installed and I'm working my way through the powerplant sections of the manual. I'm also slogging through all of the installation and maintenance manuals (Dynon, Rotax, etc.).

I have to say, though, that I'm a little bit surprised in the lack of step-by-step instructions covering all of the activities between sub-system installation and first flight. In other words, I thought there would be more guidance for system integration activities like:

... powering up the avionics for the first time in a systematic and safe way

... first engine start

... taxi tests

... seating and testing the brakes

... final control system inspections and checks

... etc.

Even the blogs I frequent don't seem to provide a whole lot of detailed info on these phases of the build.

So my questions is: what resources should I be acquiring/studying to prepare for this important last phase of the project??? Do the installation manuals contain all the info I need??? Are there any good build logs that cover these activities particularly well from an integrated/RV-12 perspective??? Am I conceivably missing some documentation from Van's?

Finally, for those of you who are flying, how long did it take for you to get from hanging the engine to airworthiness/first flight? (I'm hoping to fly in June and I just want a sanity check. I can commit most of my time to it.)

Thanks!

PAP

have you recvd the production acceptance procedures along with the maintenance manual / flight training supplement from VANS? This is part of the documentation kit that includes all the placards for the panel and airframe. It also includes the inspection documentation that you will submit to the FAA for airworthiness. If you are building ELSA VANS provides all of this after you receive the final kit (usually engine or avionics). If you are ELSA and have all the subkits, call VANS and they will send this to you.

The PAP will guide you through ground testing including engine run ups and taxi testing.

Krtsher,

You can download the PAP's from the Vans website. It won't help you much on the Dynon stuff, but is pretty good on the rest of the systems. I just slogged my way through the Dynon manual for the avionics.

Rich