Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
I recently found out that my 0-320 B2C won't fit my RV9A because of the carb mount at the rear of the sump and the mags mount horizontally and can't be turned vertical to clear the engine mount. In the back of Van's manual, there is a big list of all the Lycomings, but it doesn't specifically tell which ones fit and which ones don't fit. If I could afford a new engine from Van's I guess I wouldn't have a problem but my pockets aren't that deep.

Does anyone know what model 0-320 does fit?

Thanks.

B2B

I fitted an O-320 B2B conical mount to my 9A. You are right about the carb being too far back. This would work on a taildragger but not on an A model.

Since I got such a good deal on the engine, I decided to swap out the sump. It was a really easy thing to do and it cost me about $400.

You get a sump that moves the carb forward. Then, you have to change the way the oil is picked up from that sump. The stock set up has a pick up tube extend down into the sump. The mod removes that tube. The new oil pick up point is from the bottom of the sump and then up through the walls of the new sump. You also have to change the intake tubes.

Believe me, it is VERY easy. I stressed about this for a year before I actually got around to it and it was cake.

I got all my parts, except for the sump, from Mattituck. They were very helpful.

Find yourself a parts manual and check out the two different kinds of sumps and oil pick ups. Also, check on VAF for my posts on this. I think I included pictures.

As far as the mags, I have the mondo sized Bendix mags and they clear the conical mount just fine. You do have to remove them to remove or install the engine though but no big deal.

I'd think that your B2C takes conical mounts as well.

If you want some pix PM me.

Oh, and to figure out just what models fit without modification, refer to the parts manual. You'll see a table there with engine model numbers. The models that use the forward carb sump are the ones that work.

Last edited:
Al,

Are you building a -9 or -9A?

Unless that sump is really odd, that engine should fit on a -9. I don't know about the -9A.

I'm not sure what you talking about horizontal mags. It might be that you have to simply remove the mags, install the engine, and then put them back in. Don't forget to put that pesky little 45 degree oil fitting on the accessory case before hanging the engine, otherwise you will be removing the engine again.

Don't forget to put that pesky little 45 degree oil fitting on the accessory case before hanging the engine, otherwise you will be removing the engine again.

Yes, don't forget that. Ask me how I know. However, it's not that hard to reinstall the hoist, unbolt the engine, and swing it out far enough so that you can put that fitting in if you have a conical mount...as long as you realize you forgot it early enough. Yep, I learned this one too the hard way.

Last edited:
I am using that same engine in a 6A. You have to change the sump as others have stated. As suggested too, the Mags have to be installed after the engine is mounted. So far, really happy with the engine....especially considering the price.

John Crate
RV6A

SUMP

Check the salvage yards for the sump with the more centrally located carb. Some of the later sumps have smaller intake tubes-the tubes swedged into the sump. These will probably cost a couple horsepower. Most D and E models have the sump you want. Make a cover plate for the location where the oil pickup tube bolted on and remove the plug in the bottom of the accy case oil passage. You should be able to sell the old sump on ebay for $100. Around 3-400 is a good price for the late model sump.

Check the salvage yards for the sump with the more centrally located carb. Some of the later sumps have smaller intake tubes-the tubes swedged into the sump. These will probably cost a couple horsepower. Most D and E models have the sump you want. Make a cover plate for the location where the oil pickup tube bolted on and remove the plug in the bottom of the accy case oil passage. You should be able to sell the old sump on ebay for $100. Around 3-400 is a good price for the late model sump.

This is often referred to as a "straight riser sump"...because the induction tubes have only one bend between the cyl head and the inlet to the sump.

Making the change requires a different sump and the matching straight induction tubes.

As already mentioned, a B model engine will fit on a tail dragger RV, just not a trigear.

Thanks for the info. When I called Van's they said that the B wouldn't fit either the 9 or 9A and that the accessory case wouldn't fit either.

So what I'm hearing is that if I just change the sump and intake tubes to a straight riser D or E style, I should be good to go?
Thanks.

Al,

Sounds like you should also change the accessory case but check with Mahlon. Once you get the sump off, changing the accessory case is easy.