kentb

Well Known Member
While doing my flight testing and collecting flight preformance number at 12,000 ft, I noticed this black substance all over my hand and paper that I was righting number onto.
My pen had reach an altitude that caused it to leak and made a mess. After cleaning up and looking into my flight bag I found my other pen was ok to use.
Don't know how high that one would be good for.

So now to the question for you high flyers. What kind of pen should I get that would be good upto 24,000 ft, if I ever get there.

Kent

I use old school and/or mechanical pencils. I never seem to have luck with pens in airplanes. They either don't work, I loose the cap or they leak. For me it has nothing to do with altitude...I just have bad pen karma, or something.

Kent:
From your comment, "if I ever get up there" I take it that you have not previously flown at flight levels. First, unless your A/C is turbo charged, I suspect that it won't reach FL240. Second, from 18,000 to FL600 is class A airspace and you must be instrument rated, operating under an IFR flight plan, controlled directly by ATC and have a transponder. VFR is not allowed. Altimeter is set to 29.92 only. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. FYI, I believe Sporty's sells pens that will perform at altitudes, or you can always go with a pencil (my personal choice after a number of bad pen experiences).
If memory serves me correctly (POH is in A/C) the service ceiling on my 9A is 19,000. You can get a great deal of performance information (14 page report) on Van's own 9A by going to:
www.cafefoundation.org
Happy flying!
Terry

Van's specs the RV-7/7A at between 21,000 ft and 25,500 ft according to engine. You don't need a turbocharger to get up there...just ATC clearance, an oxygen bottle, a mask and a warm jacket. :)

Russians Figured It Out

I once read a story of how the Space Engineers and private consultants for NASA spent millions of $$ working on a pen for space. You know, one that would not leak, break, fail, or fall apart. They did nearly perfect one style that literally cost $$millions.

The Russions used (and probably still do today) ....a number 2 pencil.
Cost? About .07 cents (US).

Pat Garboden

My flight jackets, flight suits, and knee boards all have pencils in them.....

Regarding writing utensils in space, it's true that the "Space Pen" cost a lot to develop, but as I understand it, this was all done under private initiative - and THEN the government paid by the pen....but today, we pretty much have pencils everywhere. And, amazingly enough, they are pretty much standard-issue government mechanical pencils with a little velcro wrapped around them. Probably came out of the stock room cabinet.

Kent/Jamie:
Likely an RV7, F/I 360 with CS prop will produce a single pilot service ceiling above 25,500 (keep in mind this is not a legal FL). Van's numbers, while based on testing of their own A/C, are pretty accurate for all permutations. However, stall speeds, rate of climb, service ceiling, etc. will all be based on your own flight testing of your AC. Unfortunately for me, my normally aspirated, FP 9A came close to 19,000 with ony me on board - my next plan is to try one of those wonder diets that suggest 60 pounds in 60 days.
Terry

Grease Pencils

Kent,

Mechanical pencils and grease pencils on plexi nav boards or if you are in a hurry just right it on the canopy. Will wipe off. Saves on the stains and looking for something to write on.

Van's number for the 9A is 24,500 ft for solo and 18,500 at gross.
I don't have an O2 system yet, but will at sometime and I can get the IFR clearance, but won't want to go up high if there were clouds up there.

I am just so use to using pens that I prefer not to switch to pencils.

It shouldn't take much for a pen to work. We are not talking about lack of gravity, only air pressure equalization.

I think that the problem with my pen was that there was some trapped air in it somewhere that expanded and forced the ink out on to my hand.

Kent

why not dump the pen?

kentb said:
While doing my flight testing and collecting flight preformance number at 12,000 ft, I noticed this black substance all over my hand and paper that I was righting number onto.
My pen had reach an altitude that caused it to leak and made a mess. After cleaning up and looking into my flight bag I found my other pen was ok to use.
Don't know how high that one would be good for.

So now to the question for you high flyers. What kind of pen should I get that would be good upto 24,000 ft, if I ever get there.

Kent

If you're doing flight testing or just want to capture radio transmissions, consider a digital voice recorder set to the voice actuated mode. Here's what you'll need from Radio Shack:

6 ft audio cable, 42-2387A, $4.99, (makes two)
1/4 phone plug, 274-139, $3.99, package of two
1 meg resistor, 271-1356, $.99, package of five

Cut audio cable in half. Remove cover from plug and slide on cable. Remove
about 1" of outer insulation. That will expose two insulated and one
uninsulated wire. Solder the insulated wires to the tip and center
conductors on the plug. Red wire to tip and black to center conductor. The
resistor goes on the uninsulated ground wire, then to the ground lug. Put a piece of heat shrink over the resistor and lead, fold it back along the cable, then forward to lay alongside the cable, then solder to the ground lug. Without heat shrink, the resistor may short itself out of the circuit. Clamp strain relief on cable and resistor and screw cover in place. Plug big end into
copilot headset jack and small end into tape recorder. Sell second patch
cord to your buddy for $10, leaving you with a net cost of zero.

Go to Best Buy and check out the Olympus digital recorders. Under $40 for the VN-2100.

Tony

Felt tip markers work ok, too. Have one in my flight jacket from at least 15 years ago - too dry to work now, but they never leaked even when cabin pressure failed (which was not unknown).

Bruce said:
Kent,

Mechanical pencils and grease pencils on plexi nav boards or if you are in a hurry just right it on the canopy. Will wipe off. Saves on the stains and looking for something to write on.

That is a great idea!

Just saw this on Gizmodo ... a metal inkless pen that writes on virtually anything. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/acatalog/info_48.html
metal_pen.jpg

demo.jpg