msturgis

Well Known Member
After about 10 years of wishing I could build an RV, today I ordered my -7 emp kit.

I've read that only about 1/3 of all kits started are compleated by their original owners. I was hoping some of you guys who have "gone the distance" can give some advise on how to make this a successful undertaking.

-Matt

Congratulations Matt

We are glad to see you in our one third group. More and more people are joining us from other two thirds.

Matt, the secret is to keep plodding along. Don't set yourself a deadline and don't give up. Just, every day you can, do a little more on the project. Honestly, I think many people promise themselves they'll build it in X months and if it takes longer, they get frustrated and give up. Economics shouldn't be a problem; if you've bought the kit(s) then they can be stored until you can afford to continue. I had no idea how I'd pay for it all when I started; 14 years later I had paid over double my original budget to get an upgraded panel and new engine instead of the minimal panel and high-time engine I had planned on. If you are patient, the money will get there. And then, one day I realized that the next step was to start the engine. THAT's when I started to get 'date-itis' but it still took some time to work through the last bits of construction and all the paperwork.

Also, the best advice I got, for those reading this who are still sitting on the fence, was not to wait to get started. If I had waited until I could afford everything before starting, I would have just started last year with probably 2-3 years to go during building, if not more. Instead, I started long ago and drug my feet but once I had the last of the finances arranged, it was less than a year before I was flying. Buy a kit and start mashing rivets now!

RE:Welcome

After about 10 years of wishing I could build an RV, today I ordered my -7 emp kit.

I've read that only about 1/3 of all kits started are compleated by their original owners. I was hoping some of you guys who have "gone the distance" can give some advise on how to make this a successful undertaking.

-Matt

Matt

Great to see you join the ranks of aeroplane builders......

For me it has been a great ride....frustrating at times, more $$$$$$$$ than I thought, a great tutor of many lifes important lessons (friends, family, patience, new things learned, sustained effort, NEVER GIVE UP, over coming problems of all kinds, and just plain fun).

I figured 18 to 24 months and bout $75 K to completion.... NOT.... I am now just painting (what a story this has been....for another day) on a project begun Sept. 4, 2004 and just north of $100 K.

Matt begin with the ends in mind. Determine your mission profile, budget accordingly, fine tune what engine, electrical system, panel, interior, paint scheme or not, and leave some room for changes to your goals and ideas as the project moves forward.

Finally, just enjoy the ride...............and give the folks here at VansAirforce a chance to help you when ever the need arises. IT would have been much more difficult to build my plane without the good folks at Van's help desk and the always knowledge, quick with a response, and never a harsh word spoken (usually) VansAirforce Family.:D

Frank @ 1L8 ...Painting Still.....soon to the airport

Last edited:
I am still a wannabe but looking forward to joining you all!

Michael

Michael do not wait! Reread what flion posted, downsize to two seater first :D , roll your sleeves and fire that rivet gun.... you will be glad you did.

-Matt

If there is one single thing I would suggest it would be, forget all the cool mods and build the airplane to Vans drawings. It will save you much frustration and money.

Persistence

Matt,

I'm not building an RV, but the same principles apply. Flion said it well. For myself, what works is persistence. Each day or every other day or sometimes next week, when I go out to the garage/airplane factory I look at it that I have to drill 20 holes and rivet or I need to install the aileron hinge brackets...that's it. Otherwise, at least for me, it can get overwhelming. Just look at it like there are a series of jobs to do and eventually it takes shape and one day you say....Wow, I really am building an airplane. It's the most personally satisfying thing I have ever done and you will meet many, many wonderful and helpful people along the way.

Matt,

One other thing, you will make mistakes, destroy parts, drill into your hand, etc. Don't give up. Fix your mistakes, order a replacement part, get some stitches, and move on. You should see the pile of dead parts I have in the basement. I've done a lot of little things and having all the scrap laying around was useful.

Someone once said, it is not the mistake you make but how you fix it that counts.

Good luck with your build.

Builders Coaching

Congratulations Matt

If you need any help with starting, getting the shop set up, motivation, a plan,and mentoring I would be happy to help. I do builders coaching. I don't want to build your airplane, just give you confidence and knowledge so you can move along on your own. What I do is spend a week or more at your shop, working right with you. PM me if you want more information. Steve

Accept that there will be those days when things don't go right and you will feel like a total fool. (For some of us, those days are longer and more frequent than for others!) And, there will likely be some parts of the project that you will come to hate doing and will find excuses to not go to the shop for a while. And there will times when you will feel like such an idiot that you will think you are too dumb to be building an airplane and you should just give up.

Keep the family happy for if they turn against the project because you are ignoring them, then things will go downhill fast.

But, keep plodding along and when you get frustrated, come on here and the guys will get you excited again.

Have fun. Nothing is worth doing if presents no challenges.

Keep the family happy for if they turn against the project because you are ignoring them, then things will go downhill fast.

The best advice I've heard!

.....and another way to put it is....

The best advice I've heard!

.....balance! Balance your love life with your spouse/SO and children. Never do one at the expense of the other.

Balance your diet with a moderate amount of exercise and so on...balance it all.

Welcome,

Thanks everyone for the great advice, obviously the RV community is very welcoming and encouraging one!!

Matt,
My advise is, don't look at it as an entire airplane. You are building a tail. After that is done and you are satisfied, you will be building a wing..... etc. Plus, to make your time more productive, plan your work sessions before you get in the shop. Know just what you are going to do as soon as you walk into the shop so you don't sit around looking at it and not actually doing anything. If you don't have a piece of hardware, tool, or whatever you need - go on to something else right away and then make your non-building free time at work or where ever more productive by doing your ordering or stopping at the hardware store on your way to somewhere at that time. As another poster said, sticking as close as you can to the Van's plan, especially in terms of airframe mods, will speed you along. Best thing, have fun, get the family involved by teaching them how to rivet and do wire crimps - you won't be sorry.... Mostly - WELCOME TO THE GROUP

Scott
RV-6 - SOLD
RV-8 Fastback - FLYING