Don Jones

Well Known Member
I decided to just prime the contact areas where the ribs meet the skin and hated to just let the overspray fall where it may, so I used the soldering iron trick on the inside of the skin and used the remaining vinyl for masking. Peeled it off after the primer was dry and was pleased with the results. Didn't waste too much time in the process.

http://www.weflyforfun.com/p1010052.jpg

Last edited:
Anal - perhaps. But it looks good and it saves weight. Granted, you're probably the only one that will ever see it!

Hmm... why remove it at all? Would you really even need to remove the protective plastic on the internal pieces ?

* I don't build :) just a passing thought *

Hmm... why remove it at all? Would you really even need to remove the protective plastic on the internal pieces ?

* I don't build :) just a passing thought *

I believe the answer to this is a resounding, "YES!" I've removed that plastic to find some light corrosion under it. (Easy to take care of but...) You're better off removing the plastic coating. (besides, every ounce of weight removal helps.)

* I don't build :) just a passing thought *[/QUOTE

I feel his idea is to remove the plastic for sure. If you don't remove the plastic there will be corrosion!

I decided to just prime the contact areas where the ribs meet the skin and hated to just let the overspray fall where it may, so I used the soldering iron trick on the inside of the skin and used the remaining vinyl for masking. Peeled it off after the primer was dry and was pleased with the results. Didn't waste too much time in the process.

http://www.weflyforfun.com/p1010052.jpg

Yes, that is anal. Then again, whatever floats your ship.

Ha!

I'am having dejavu. My dad and I did the exact same thing a couple days ago! I guess i shouldn't call him 'overkill' as much.

JRRVFLYER
Working on Emp.

It's "too anal" if down the road it's going to sap your desire to work on the build because you now have an extra "mandatory" prep sequence involved on every skin.

If not, then do whatever trips your trigger.

.....at least I am not the only one!

Well, I feel better now. I am not the first member of the club, just the most recent:)
Seems I am in good company here!!!

Anal Schmanal

It ain't anal. ;) If one is going to use the soldering gun method for leaving the vinyl on as long as possible, painting the bare stripes is a freebie.

Mine is done that way. I am finished with all the skin structure and did not find any issue with "Oh, thats too much work, I'm gonna quit" as intimated above.

One note. Decide on your cabin finish. If it is paint, the solder gun technique is a waste of time in that area.