Av8rRob

Well Known Member
I'm busy at work with the elevators on my Rv-14. Just wondering when most people have a tech councilor come and check their work? Do these guys get paid for the visit? What's the "norm"?

Thanks

Rob

These are usually volunteers with the EAA, but the three times I had one come out to look at mine I made sure we fed him and had beer in the fridge. I did one at the end of the empennage just to make sure I knew how to drive rivets, another as I finished wings and was starting on the fuse, and a third just after I hung the engine.

I did the same as Greg.

Just be aware, there is a wide range of expertise/skill/attention to detail, etc. among those who are designated "tech counselors." There's not really anything significant one has to do to become a TC. Some are really good and some have built planes you'd never be willing to fly in. Thus, while it's good to invite your local EAA TC to look at your project, be sure to just in general get as many eyes as possible on your project at all stages. Also like Greg said, no payment except for the drink and plate of fresh- baked cookies while the inspection is happening.

Good luck. A lot of fun is this building an airplane thing.

Rob,

I can't speak for other Tech Counselors but I tell people to contact me whenever they have a question or problem they can't resolve on their own, or before closing up structures (wings, stabs, fuselage skins, etc.). Sometimes I'll just come over to discuss plans for firewall forward or systems installation. As far as "how often" I just tell them not to worry about that. We Tech Counselors are all volunteers (no pay) and we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't enjoy it. I have also learned a lot along the way.

For me, it provides an opportunity to pay back some of the enormous help I received during my RV-6 project.

A local EAA chapter should have a list of nearby Tech Counselors and the EAA website might have a list, too. Contact one and see what he/she likes to take a look at, and don't be afraid to ask about his/her experience...

I did the same as Greg.

Just be aware, there is a wide range of expertise/skill/attention to detail, etc. among those who are designated "tech counselors." There's not really anything significant one has to do to become a TC. Some are really good and some have built planes you'd never be willing to fly in. Thus, while it's good to invite your local EAA TC to look at your project, be sure to just in general get as many eyes as possible on your project at all stages. Also like Greg said, no payment except for the drink and plate of fresh- baked cookies while the inspection is happening.

Good luck. A lot of fun is this building an airplane thing.

Totally agree.

Find someone with the most experience possible, and I usually recommend a first visit very early in the project to help catch any workmanship problems before they have an influence on a lot of completed assemblies.

I had a tech counselor (rvsxer / Mike Hilger) visit a total of nine times during my build. I learned a lot during each visit, both on what I was doing right as well as what I needed to look at doing better and what to look out for as I progressed through the build.

I'd say ask Mike to come have a look. He's pretty good at it :)

This is a very timely thread for me. Edited - I found the EAA site to find a local counselor

Last edited:
Tech Counselor

Totally agree.

Find someone with the most experience possible, and I usually recommend a first visit very early in the project to help catch any workmanship problems before they have an influence on a lot of completed assemblies.

+1
Ask locals which TC they like. I've had two and am looking for a third for the next visit. Sadly the first is no longer available. He used a flashlight and mirror and examined my empennage with a fine toothed comb then gave me a "well done". Second (wings open) was not as thorough but having built lots of airplanes including Vans, also gave a "well done". I want a third opinion when the time comes around engine hanging time frame.
This is a time to find out what you're doing wrong and right.
Ask if they want fuel reimbursement and for sure, offer refreshment and or a meal.

Just adding to the many good posts above - I have done quite a few TC visits over the years, and would recommend that if you are relatively new to building, don't wait until you have finished the empennage to get some one to have a look. Have someone qualified check your riveting and general workmanship after you complete one major component ( like the vertical stab) - or maybe before you close it up. That way, if you have a generic technique problem, it can be caught and fixed before you get too far down the road.

I agree with others, the TC in my chapter has built and assisted a few airplanes and is very knowledgeable. I'm having him take a look before I close up the wings and did the same with the HS when I had just started. Many folks state that it also helps on the final airworthy inspection as showing you have another set of eyes on it can assure the DAR that you didn't just google how to build an airplane. Of course, that's just a few folks' experience, it may not make a difference to others out there.

Thanks everybody, always good advice to be found here. I already reached out to a local tc for a look over and will start a steady inspection routine.