rv12newbie

I'm New Here
.... never, ever thought I would be building a plane - I love to fly too much. But, I am hooked and just completed STEP 6 - the VERT STAB - last night. Lot's of help from this forum and an RV-8 builder who got me through the initial building "pains".
10pxfki.jpg

Congratulations on your first completed RV-12 component. It's a great feeling when the first assembly comes together and a milestone you will never forget.

Great job! Just remember, those rivets don't pull themselves!

BTW, that is a nice looking Great Lakes you are standing in front of!

Great job. Congratulations and welcome to the fun.

I'm not very far from you so if you'd like to visit on a weekend, you are welcome to come to my shop anytime. Just PM me if interested.

Congratulations, Phil. Welcome to the 'club'!

My only suggestion to you, is to order your sub-kits as quick as your wallet allows. The tailcone and entire empennage goes together very quickly! Then the wings come next. They go together pretty quickly too.

Nothing worse than getting on a roll, getting the momentum going, then waiting for weeks and weeks for the next kit to arrive. If I had it to do over again, while building the tailcone/empennage, I'd order the wings and the fuselage. This would keep you busy for awhile. Then when you think you are about halfway completed with the fuselage, order the finish kit and avionics. The engine could be ordered upon starting the finish kit.

I've seen some that order everything at once, and this is ideal if funds allow. If not, the plan above should work out pretty slick for you.

My Vertical Stab Picture

When I took a picture (about four years ago) of my completed vertical stab, an image of its creator appeared in the photo. It was a miracle! I'm ready for saint-hood now.
00034_zps65609080.jpg

rv12newbie

Looks good, in a few weeks it turns into a full empennage, a few weeks later wings and then a fusalage. Builds fast take lots of pics

Good luck

I'm ready for saint-hood now.

Rob, what does Haruko say about that? :eek: But nice pic!

Hows the flying in the Great State?

Congratulations, Phil. Welcome to the 'club'!

My only suggestion to you, is to order your sub-kits as quick as your wallet allows. The tailcone and entire empennage goes together very quickly! Then the wings come next. They go together pretty quickly too.

Nothing worse than getting on a roll, getting the momentum going, then waiting for weeks and weeks for the next kit to arrive. If I had it to do over again, while building the tailcone/empennage, I'd order the wings and the fuselage. This would keep you busy for awhile. Then when you think you are about halfway completed with the fuselage, order the finish kit and avionics. The engine could be ordered upon starting the finish kit.

I've seen some that order everything at once, and this is ideal if funds allow. If not, the plan above should work out pretty slick for you.

Good advice, and I was warned by the factory of the delay, but I wanted to make sure I could make a rivet hold PRIOR to ordering anything more. Will call this afternoon.

Good advice, and I was warned by the factory of the delay, but I wanted to make sure I could make a rivet hold PRIOR to ordering anything more. Will call this afternoon.

That's a good idea. When I picked up my wing kit last Monday Ann told me that they're working 6 days a week in the manufacturing area, as well as a night shift, trying to get caught up. Looks like things are alive and well at Vans. :)

I'm ordering my fuselage kit this week.

Enjoy your build. I sure am.

Jim

Congratulations and keep on going :) Me too "never, ever thought I would be building a plane" as i am musician :).
Now my RV-12 empenage is ready, wings are allmost ready and i am waiting for the fuselage kit :)
Lot of fun!

greetings from Poland :)