Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
OK, I goofed up the first attempt at the left front ramp, and trimmed it too short (as in, not enough material left to fit the filter for the snorkel).

So, new part in hand, and I'm not sure of the order to do this...also, there are some pieces that I can't figure out how they fit.

So my question is...does anyone have some good photos/description of the construction sequence here? I can't figure out things like...should I put a bend in the ramp first? Or not? If not, then how do I trim the snorkel correctly so that when the ramp *is* finally fitted to the cowling, the snorkel fits the ramp (since presumably, said ramp will then have to bend upward).

Also, there are some W-shaped channels that are suppsed to fit underneat the ramp, where it's pre-punched...but the W channel has flanges that are too wide to fit in that area...I guess you trim the channel to fit?

The whole thing is poorly documented and the so-called engineering drawings are inadequate to say the least...

Help!

TIA!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not step-by-step, but perhaps enough to get you started.

I didn't read the snorkel instructions soon enough and I ended up putting a bend on the inlet ramp. Not the end of the world but it did make for some extra work.

Good luck,

Steve, I think you and I are in almost at the same place in the build once again. I'm about to tackle the left front ramp right now, but I have the added fun of the AFP servo to fit the snorkel to.

Mine came out pretty good on the second attempt at cutting the ramp, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just chop the snorkel into to pieces, fit the one to the ramp, the other to the injector, and then reglass them to fit (I think there was a thread on here that showed such a process). Would have been much, much easier.

So my question is...does anyone have some good photos/description of the construction sequence here? I can't figure out things like...should I put a bend in the ramp first? Or not? If not, then how do I trim the snorkel correctly so that when the ramp *is* finally fitted to the cowling, the snorkel fits the ramp (since presumably, said ramp will then have to bend upward).

Also, there are some W-shaped channels that are suppsed to fit underneat the ramp, where it's pre-punched...but the W channel has flanges that are too wide to fit in that area...I guess you trim the channel to fit?

The whole thing is poorly documented and the so-called engineering drawings are inadequate to say the least...

STEVE,
This was one of the more challenging parts of my construction because of the need to understand the plans but discard them and DO IT to fit my plane. There was not an "Order of construction". All items had to be fit at the same time so there was a LOT of on and off test fitting and head scratching.

Here is a link to my log where I started on the task

DO NOT PUT A BEND IN THE RAMP THAT HAS THE FILTER IN IT.
It is simply "twisted" to fit the end conditions defined by the baffle kit.
The filter will twist also. The snorkel must be cut to fit the twist.

Good luck, It was very rewarding to get this part finished. I hope it is to you as well.

Last edited: