campi

Well Known Member
By chance, anyone at Sun N Fun see the new AnywhereMap Travel Companion GPS? They just released this unit based on the Ipaq 310, which is supposed to have a great screen. Because the screen is now significantly bigger, they apparently have touchscreen buttoms that are easy to use, even in rough air. Also, the GPS is built into the unit.

Can anyone provide comments on this unit if they saw it firsthand? It can also be upgraded later (which is why I like it over the Garmin) to XM Weather, so I would not have to buy a 396 or 496 now.

Thanks.

I saw it and liked what I saw, but as I already have my own system, I did not go over it in detail. It has a bright screen (inside the hangar at least) and a nicely sized display area (many times larger than a 496). They have a new "virtual keyboard" for it (I NEED THAT) which looks to be very user friendly. If I didn't have my own system already, I would have been a buyer I feel sure...

Lee...

AWM ATC

Any more comments on this unit? Looks great to me and I need one soon. Price looks good too.

Thanks

Same Question

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago in the GPS section (Check out "True Garmin Competition") and got little response. My boss (finishing a Lancair 360) just bought one, so I am interested in taking a look at it soon.

One point which was made by 638RS is the autopilot coupling is done thru bluetooth. If this is true, it won't work for me. I don't view BT as very reliable, and I wouldn't want it to fall out while "George" is flying the airplane.

Hope that helps.

I was interested in this product too. Looked great at SnF.

Unfortunately, I can't find any independant product reviews for it and Control Vision doesn't allow public access to their discussion forums.

I am not an early adopter on stuff like this, so I'll be watching from the sidelines until I've seen some consistent reports on this system.

Anywhere map

By chance, anyone at Sun N Fun see the new AnywhereMap Travel Companion GPS? They just released this unit based on the Ipaq 310, which is supposed to have a great screen. Because the screen is now significantly bigger, they apparently have touchscreen buttoms that are easy to use, even in rough air. Also, the GPS is built into the unit.

Can anyone provide comments on this unit if they saw it firsthand? It can also be upgraded later (which is why I like it over the Garmin) to XM Weather, so I would not have to buy a 396 or 496 now.

Thanks.

I've been using AnywhereMap for about 7 years now. My latest incarnation is on an HP travel companion 5915. Has built in gps (works quite well).

I've had the weather option now for over a year. They had some "bumps" in the software a few months back, but all seems stable again.

The unit works well. I don't use it for primary navigation (though I could) but I do use it for in flight awareness and weather.

I use an old Garmin 196 as my primary nav, because I am so used to it.

I like the Anywhere map software. However, it is virtually impossible to make changes in rough air without taking the unit out of the cradle and holding it in both hands. :(

Other than that, it's been rock solid. I like the fact that Anywheremap databases also contain all private airstrips and obstacles.

YMMV. I give it a thumbs up.

JP

Using ATC in Rough Air

I had been previously told that using the anywhere map in the cockpit, particularly in rough air, was difficult. That is part of the reason that I'm attracted to the new anywhere travel companion (ATC), because according to controlvision it has dedicated touch screen buttons, which makes it easy to use in the air.

That is why I was looking to see if anyone could provide a hands-on review of the unit; particularly before the special price of $695 expires.

At least on paper, the unit looks very promising, as compared to a 495; and you could still add weather later. However, I'm still not certain about how easy it is to use while in the air.

Rough air comments

In rough air, the 196 (and the previous garmin units I had) can be used because I can wrap my hand around the unit and manipulate the keys with my thumb. While the aircraft zigs, zags and hiccups, my hand moves right along with it. Enough practice, you can even do it left handed.

Even my panel mount gps is hard to use in rough air. You have to brace your hand against something and try to push or rotate the controls. All this while keeping the airplane straight. :)

Just took a look at the new unit. Off hand, I'd say it would be somewhat easier to use. Especially if you can stabilize your hand on the unit while operating the touch screen. The larger touch screen buttons would make it easier to hit them while bouncing around.

BTW, I try to avoid the kind of air that makes using the unit hard. :)

Still, for the money AWMAP is hard to beat. I might have to spring for one of those units myself now. Darn :)

JP

Englarged Text?

The one thing I like about the Garmin is the enlarged text for the ETA, Distance to waypoint, etc so you can get this information at a glance.

Does anywhere map have an option to enlarge the text?

Frank