Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm starting preliminary SNF planning, and want to collect a list of potential fuel/lunch stops on a line very roughly from the east end of Lake Ontario to KLAL. The ideal candidates would have a decent on-field restaurant (my wife will come along, so I need to avoid really terrible places) and average or better fuel prices.

I?d like to have a number of options in hand, both east and west of the direct line from the east end of Lake Ontario to KLAL, to cover any need to go around weather.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm starting preliminary SNF planning, and want to collect a list of potential fuel/lunch stops on a line very roughly from the east end of Lake Ontario to KLAL. The ideal candidates would have a decent on-field restaurant (my wife will come along, so I need to avoid really terrible places) and average or better fuel prices.

I?d like to have a number of options in hand, both east and west of the direct line from the east end of Lake Ontario to KLAL, to cover any need to go around weather.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello Kevin,
If you intent to go near Knoxville, TN I will be home the week of SNF. Your welcome to stop in my strip, 5TN4. I have a car you could use for lunch or a guest room for an overnight. There is an airfield 15 miles south, KMNV, with fuel at $4.88 per gallon. If you use mogas I could have 93 octane ethanol free available at my place. Who knows, I might just follow you to SNF:)

Marvin McGraw

I use AirNav Fuel Stop Planner for this kind of planning. I get their fuel stop suggestions, get more information from the individual airport page, narrow the decisions to a few specific airports then ask about those before I decide which to actually land. It has worked well for me.

:cool:

Kevin,
KALX has great fuel prices $4.70 last week when I stopped. They are a good distance for a final leg into LAL. Subway and Burger King across street

Suggestion

Mountain Empire is a great stop. Very nice fuel guy appreciates the business, gives great cash price, and will lend you a courtesy car to drive down the road to a VERY nice amish deli that makes great fancy sandwiches. Been there several time. Always a pleasure. KMKJ

Heading to Bahamas end of april, planning on Lake city florida. KLCQ. Very well rated fbo, food and car, with very good fuel prices too.

Let us now what you pick and how it works out. LOVE finding great ga friendly airports. Enjoy your trip.

It will be nice to see you again Kevin in HBC. My wife was threatening to come with me this year but it looks like I may be solo after all because of her work schedule. She actually wanted to look at, and sit in, an SR20 at SNF. :eek:

If you plan to fly westerly to avoid the US Imperial TFR :mad:, then the following may be options.

One is KHKY Hickory NC. Fuel is usually around $5 (showing $5.14 today) and there is a good airport restaurant on the field. Restaurant closed Sundays.

Second is KEHO Shelby NC which usually competes for cheapest fuel (showing $4.84) and has a good BBQ restaurant a short walk from the field. I understand it is not open every day, so a call to the field for clarification might be best. (I overheard closed Sunday and early in week but please check)

If you value the lunch quality over the fuel price ($5.70), then KGMU Greenville Downtown SC wins hands down. The on field restaurant is excellent and is open every day.

Last edited:
I use AirNav Fuel Stop Planner for this kind of planning. I get their fuel stop suggestions, get more information from the individual airport page, narrow the decisions to a few specific airports then ask about those before I decide which to actually land. It has worked well for me.

I?ve been using the AirNav fuel stop planner, and it does a great job on finding fuel stops. But it seems pretty useless at finding places to get lunch. I haven?t yet found any web site that has a reliable indication of whether the airport has an on-field restaurant, or not.

I’ve been using the AirNav fuel stop planner, and it does a great job on finding fuel stops. But it seems pretty useless at finding places to get lunch. I haven’t yet found any web site that has a reliable indication of whether the airport has an on-field restaurant, or not.

I agree. For that nothing beats a personal recommendation by someone who has been there. But, at least it gets you in a good idea on what airports to ask about.

Fly 2 Lunch web site

I’ve been using the AirNav fuel stop planner, and it does a great job on finding fuel stops. But it seems pretty useless at finding places to get lunch. I haven’t yet found any web site that has a reliable indication of whether the airport has an on-field restaurant, or not.

Kevin:

Try this web site. It may have what you are looking for.

The web site was started by a Test Pilot friend that was an RV owner flyer a few years ago. His flying videos were always good but I have not used the web site a lot.

Last edited:
Another idea

Kevin, another possible idea for you depending on legs planned.
KCRW (Charleston/Yeager) It is an airport of entry (customs) and allows you to take off and get a nice chunk of real estate covered before having to stop and go through customs. The older customs guy there was the nicest customs person we have EVER had. He seemed actually happy to see us and wished us a great trip. We find getting an hour or two flown before stopping is a great way to get the long trip started instead of our 4 minute flight from Windsor to Detroit to sit for 30 or more waiting. The great customs experience was just an added bonus. Just an idea, and the airport is very nice, spectacular scenery around. Planning on using that as our customs stop anytime we are flying to the deep south.

One nice place to stop just South of Atlanta is Peach State. It is owned by Ron Alexander and has a small museum and a nice restaurant on-site. Given the layout of the field (it has a lot of elevation change) it is best to land to the East if you stop there.

I?ve pulled the plug on our SNF plans for this year. My work schedule has changed, and I?ll need to head on the road immediately after we would be returning from SNF. If we have weather issues, we?d have to abandon the aircraft and find another way home. I was willing to risk getting stuck for a few days waiting for weather before my work schedule changed, but I don?t want to roll the weather dice when I have a hard date to be back home.

I?ll save SNF for years when I can be flexible on the return schedule.

KAYS Waycross Georgia is a great place to stop for Sun & Fun.
They cook food and have drinks for pilots on there way there. They also
discount the fuel .30 per gallon

Geoff

Here's a hot one....

I was poking around with some Kitplanes-related planning and discovered 100LL at St Augustine (SGJ) for $4.89. You get another nickel if you use a Shell credit card. I called to confirm.

Important detail: This is the airport authority self-serve pump located near the base of the control tower, not Galaxy Aviation, the corporate FBO.

An Airnav note says there are sump facilities near the self-serve pump.

To the SW, Leesburg is $4.99

Last edited:
If you do decide on SGJ St. Augustine, there is a nice little burger restaurant at the Galaxy Aviation FBO and never paid a landing fee. Very scenic airport along the intercoastal and coast. Patti Wagstaff's home airport.