Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
Wish I could be in Lakeland, but instead am stuck in snow-land. For any and all that have made it to SnF, has Lowrance added anything new to their "show and tell" story on aviation GPS units?

Thanks in advance for your insightful and informative replies!

snf

I was there today and bought a 2000c, and there was nothing new there that wasn't there last year.:mad:

Mike Bauer

Am I to assume the 2000c is selling at reduced prices now, Mike? I know they've generally been sold at quite a discount off list at SnF and OSH, but since it's getting to be a few years old I'm wondering if Lowrance is having to do deeper discounting in order to move units?

Am I to assume the 2000c is selling at reduced prices now, Mike? I know they've generally been sold at quite a discount off list at SnF and OSH, but since it's getting to be a few years old I'm wondering if Lowrance is having to do deeper discounting in order to move units?
I got mine for $575 with terrain at Oskhosh. I doubt there's much room for Lowrance to go lower. In my mind, this is still, by far, the best GPS bang for the buck, so I suspect Lowrance has little reason to sell them for less.

Thanks for the good info, folks. I currently have a 2000c without terrain and have been thinking about upgrading to a terrain-capable unit. I know there are many here who swear by their Garmin units, but I personally can't see what extra performance the Garmin brings to the table for 2-3 times the money. As a basic VFR pilot, the Lowrance 2000c meets and exceeds all my needs. Installed in my panel using an AirGizmo's dock it also produces a clean installation that's easy to see and easy to use, plus it drives the Dynon EFIS-D100 very nicely.

Now I wonder if my "chief financial officer" will approve the purchase of a new one with terrain... ?

Now I wonder if my "chief financial officer" will approve the purchase of a new one with terrain... ?
Terrain came with mine (and now comes standard, I believe) but I have my 2000c set up to default to no terrain. I think terrain has value in IFR or night flying, to be sure, but it just clutters up the screen for daytime VFR. If I want to know what the terrain is like, I just look out the window. Still, it might be worth picking up now while it still is offered.

Amazing deal....

I paid $699 for mine last year. I have it mounted to the panel in my -4 just at the left corner bottom. It blocks the view of my g-meter but nothing else.

I also have the terrain turned off. I have it set to a white background that makes the gps clearly visible even flying into bright sunlight and the font is big enough that I don't need any "help" to read the data :). If you're over about 45, you know what I mean....

At these prices, I'm tempted to get another one for the back seater ( Airmap 500 is there now ).....

John

Opinion

Since i dont get to fly as much as i like and everyone uses gps in cars...i would love it if the 2000c or someone other than garmin made a really great GPS for the plane, that would function well in the vehicle. Ideally less than a grand and could be used for both. Garmin has done a good job on that i think. Hopefully something will sway me and i will stop flip flopping and just pull the trigger at osh.
By the way Sporty's sells the 2000c now for 599, so all others should be able to match or beat that Sunnfun special.

Since i dont get to fly as much as i like and everyone uses gps in cars...i would love it if the 2000c or someone other than garmin made a really great GPS for the plane, that would function well in the vehicle. Ideally less than a grand and could be used for both. Garmin has done a good job on that i think. Hopefully something will sway me and i will stop flip flopping and just pull the trigger at osh.
By the way Sporty's sells the 2000c now for 599, so all others should be able to match or beat that Sunnfun special.
The Lowrance works fantastically in the car. You can switch between aviation mode and ground mode with the menu. All major roads show up and the smaller roads can be downloaded into the database if you want them. Lowrance also gives you both the yoke mount and car suction cup mounts standard.

Thanks

I had no idea at all... never noticed a road function in any lowrance literature. Well than for $600, that will be my first purchase at this years osh. THANKS

Rick - one of the big advantages of the Lowrance is that it comes with MapCreate which allows you to load maps into the GPS. We're not talking road maps, we're talking topographic maps, complete with contour lines, streams, you name it. This makes the Lowrance a very powerful tool to have in your car, and even on your ATV when you're out in the bush. I have mine set to show both aviation map and topographic info, which gives me fantastic detail if I zoom in closer than about 6 miles on the screen if I want, or if I leave it zoomed out a little the detail goes away but there's still enough to allow me to see if it's a creek I'm flying over or a road (keep in mind this is sometimes hard to tell in the winter when all's white).

As for the other posters above, many thanks for the feedback on the terrain feature. Maybe it's not what I was really thinking it would be. My intent with terrain would be to use it when in poor viz to make sure I don't fly into a hillside. For good VFR I suspect turning terrain off would be the best way to fly. If the terrain info just adds to clutter rather than improving situational awareness maybe I'm better off to stick with the GPS I currently have.

I paid $699 for mine last year. I have it mounted to the panel in my -4 just at the left corner bottom. It blocks the view of my g-meter but nothing else.

I also have the terrain turned off. I have it set to a white background that makes the gps clearly visible even flying into bright sunlight and the font is big enough that I don't need any "help" to read the data :). If you're over about 45, you know what I mean....

At these prices, I'm tempted to get another one for the back seater ( Airmap 500 is there now ).....

John

John - while having another 2000c would be great for your backseater, if you're not up to spending that much cash, take a hard look at the 1000 unit. It's not colour, but its display is fantastically readable in sunlight, and it runs for quite a long time on batteries. The added bonus is that it has the same form factor as the 2000c so it will fit in your plane just like the 2000c. That way you'd have a cheaper unit as your backup, and one that will run on batteries in the event of an aircraft electrical system failure. The 2000c doesn't last long on 4 x AA cells.