Geico266

Well Known Member
Would anyone at SnF who had damaged aircraft or property care to share their experience with insurance claims? It would be helpful if others can lean the ins and outs of dealing with adjusters.

Are you going to repair or rebuild? Buy a flying RV? Give up flying? :rolleyes:

Are you going to SnF 2012?

Please share your thoughts.

My RV-8 didn't get damaged but the Rans S-7S Courier that I recently completed certainly did. Since my insurance experience is not airplane specific, I'll share with you my story.

My blue and white Courier was one of the planes parked in front of the Rans tent. It was torn from its tied downs, slammed down on both wings and then flipped over on top of a new Piper Saratoga.

Fortunately, I had full coverage. I had coverage through NationAir (same as the -8) and the policy was underwritten by Chartis Aerospace. About thirty minutes after the worst of the storm passed I called my wife and asked her to call Shanna at NationAir and report the incident. Shanna submitted the claim to Chartis and asked for it to be expedited. Within the next hour I had a call from the Chartis claims representative based out of Phoenix. He was already aware of the storm and briefly explained to me the process and the need to secure the airplane as best I could. He also told me that an adjuster would be on the field the next day. He gave me his name and number and asked me to contact him in the morning. That evening I received two e-mails from Chartis with a short ground loss form that I would need to prepare at my earliest convenience.

The next morning I returned to my airplane to find the SnF crew had turned it upright. They did a fine job. There was only some minor damage to the landing gear fairings. I spoke to the adjuster who was stuck in SnF traffic but said he would come to my location first. Once he was on site we discussed in more detail how the process would proceed and what options were available to me. He spent about 45 minutes inspecting the airplane, taking photos and asking questions. He explained that he would write his report in the next 24 hours and that I should hear back from claims rep after its completion. He also offered to assist in getting the airplane secured. At that point we weren't sure what options we had short of leaving it in place or moving it to the temporary SnF demolition lot. Fortunately, Rans has a local dealer who offered to assist in removing the wings and storing it in a nearby hangar. Chartis told me they would cover the costs of teardown, relocation and storage. We removed the wings on Saturday and subsequently relocated the airplane that same morning.

I returned home on Sunday via UAL. About mid-day on Monday I received a call from the claims rep who told me, based on the reported damage and their estimate to repair, that they considered the airplane totaled. The claims rep told me I had a couple of options. They would cut me a check for the covered amount minus the small deductible and they would keep the salvage. Or they would determine a salvage value and I could opt to retain the airplane and receive payment for the difference. After the airplane was turned over and I had a chance to talk to the owner of Rans, I felt repair was clearly an option. Accordingly, I told the claims rep I was interested in keeping the airplane for repair.

He said he would work up a salvage value and get back with me. He called the next day with a number. I was honestly quite surprised that his number was so low. Based on his number and the repair estimate I received from Rans I felt confident I could repair the airplane easily with the remaining funds. Just to be clear, I built this airplane in its entirety and made its first flight just two months ago. I feel confident I can do the repair myself but after spending numerous hours covering and painting it just isn't in my at the moment to do the work. Fortunately, there are other options. So consequently, I opted to accept his offer. He sent me a couple of release documents that I had to sign and notarize. I completed and scanned those to him yesterday. Within an hour I received a call back telling me everything was in order and they would cut the check today. He also said they would pay for the relocation and storage that I mentioned earlier up through Thursday and that cost would not be deducted from the insured amount.

So, in my case the insurance experience was quite painless. My wife, who's a commercial insurance underwriter had concerns that Chartis might be difficult with paying the claim. But that certain hasn't been the case. Everyone I worked with was up front, timely and answered all my concerns.

We'll see about SnF 2012 but I do plan to make OSH 2011. Only, this year I'll flying the RV-8. That's probably just as well. The Courier is a great flying airplane and a good compliment to the -8 but it'll beat you up on a long cross country.

No damage for me but ... NationAir Jenny was "on the case" ...

Would anyone at SnF who had damaged aircraft or property care to share their experience with insurance claims? It would be helpful if others can lean the ins and outs of dealing with adjusters.

Are you going to repair or rebuild? Buy a flying RV? Give up flying? :rolleyes:

Are you going to SnF 2012?

Please share your thoughts.

Jenny called me within MINUTES of the storm hitting to see if I and others at Team RV were OK and needed any help.

She called in the underwriters and adjusters and I ***THINK*** had our members who had TOTALLED planes pretty much squared away by the next day.

Those with minor damage were given instructions as to what to do regarding claims for minor repairs when they got home.

Given the circumstance, I am not sure if she and her company could have done much better.

Oh, actually there is one thing ....

Don't take County Line Road in when traffic is going to be heavy! :)
(They sat in traffic for an hour or two while we got to the airport in 15 minutes taking the "backroad") . :). <<<Inside joke with us and Jenny. >>>

I will defer to my buds who had actual claims to comment on how that went but from what I could tell, NationAir was "on the case(s)".

And YES, I will go to SnF again. I have gone for many years and this was the first time for such a "unique" weather situation.

James

Falcon Rules

We've had Falcon Insurance with Bob Mackey for years. The storm flipped our brand-new Jabiru J230 demonstrator, an all-composite high-wing S-LSA, and though it stayed intact, it had substantial damage. Within minutes of crawling from our tent debris, we had a bunch of volunteers from CAP come help us stand the plane up on its nose in the soft sand and lower the plane back over onto her wheels. As I was helping to tie it down (pointless in the mud anyway), I looked up and saw a familiar face surrounded by a yellow AOPA rain bag. It was Bob Mackey wondering if we were all OK! He said he'd take care of us, including all salvage costs, and gave me his cellphone number in case we needed anything. I was thoroughly impressed with his immediate presence, concern, and helpfulness. It was one of the few rays of sunshine I experienced that day. :eek:

Claim

what is the forum's experience when it comes to insurance rates going up after making a claim like this? My friend had "something" thrown through his cloth fuselage and his policy is up this month. The broker wouldn't requote until they knew if he would file a claim, and the outcome. The broker seemed to think it was immaterial that the plane was parked at the airport and there was nowhere to go.

what is the forum's experience when it comes to insurance rates going up after making a claim like this? My friend had "something" thrown through his cloth fuselage and his policy is up this month. The broker wouldn't requote until they knew if he would file a claim, and the outcome. The broker seemed to think it was immaterial that the plane was parked at the airport and there was nowhere to go.

When I filed for significant hail damage on my Cherokee several years ago, it had no impact on my rates. I suspect as long as you aren't responsible or at fault for the claim, it probably won't have any impact.