bsacks05

Well Known Member
This was my 11th straight SNF. I have been flying in for the past four years and strive to make each experience better than the previous year. It's all about comfort and convenience at the campsite for me and here's what I brought in order to make that happen:

New tent with a shaded sitting area and room to stand up, air mattress with pump, powered speakers for my ipod, fan for those midday siestas, chair, nutrigrain bars, trail mix, water.......and a six of Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale. I packed all that and more in my -9 easily.

The two hour flight down was beautiful with flight following and a variety of tunes on the XM. (I actually listened to an entire Barry Manilow song - he rocks!)

HOWEVER, I landed at Lakeland 3 minutes after the southside (SNF side) of the field closed. :confused: Should have read the NOTAM closer.
The tower folks initially handed me a beer and told me to set up near the tower and then pack up in the morning to get over to home built camping (HBC), but 5 minutes later they said I had permission to taxi back to the app end of 9, shut down the engine, push the plane across the runway (they helped), and set up camp in the grass. WHAT?! :eek: That is the best seat in the house! They did say that I had to pack up in the morn and head over to HBC. Great people, those tower folks. That was really nice. I parked the plane and opened my beer. Happy Bruce, very happy Bruce :)

photo0009h.jpg

The next day I set up camp in HBC and proceeded to walk and soak in the SNF experience. A little rain in the morning had me seeking the shelter of a highwing.

photo0015i.jpg

I spent a lot of time at the Polyfiber tent learning how to cover and rib stitch my current project - a Hatz biplane.

photo0026i.jpg

Found one of my top 5 favorite planes sporting an excellent paint scheme.

photo0020e.jpg

photo0025rg.jpg

Hung out and ate at HBC Friday night. The volunteers are excellent, 100 percent friendly and helpful. Seeing Marshall and meeting James along with the Round Rock, Texas boys (forgot your names but gonna try the cooling suggestion, thanks!) was a pleasure. The night air show was surreal and I spent the rest of the night consuming umbrella drinks and talking to Dave from my EAA chapter.

photo0031c.jpg

Left for home Sat morn around 9:30am and was in the hangar about two hours later. The best year yet! :D

Last edited:
nice to hear a GOOD report from SnF for a change!

It's nice to hear such a glowing report for a change. Not that others haven't already done so this year, because I haven't read any of the others yet. In years past, many attendees have talked about how things were going downhill at that show. I haven't been able to attend for a number of years, but every year I think I might be able to steal away for a few days.

How was the sand situation this year? Folks have talked about how dirty everything gets there. I remember that as well, but I think a lot of that is just central Fla this time of year.

I still look forward to getting back there some year soon, and it's nice to hear I have something to look forward to!! Thanks for the report!

Turning into a tradition

Looks like this is turning into a tradition. I think we've done this before. Friday night, a brewski at homebuilt camping, and a night airshow. I like it. Almost as good as getting to fly/fly in Catalina. Looking forward to 2011 in HBC on Friday night :) Maybe in 2012 we'll fly in together (wishful thinking) :)

By then you'll probably being flying the Hatz. If it's done I'll be glad to fly Catalina for ya. I'll give you a head start :)