Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
The plan was always to use a horizontal induction with the snorkel and smooth bottom cowl. Am I right in thinking that this is only a fuel injected option. I've got this cowl but may have a good deal on a carbureted engine.

Thanks

The plan was always to use a horizontal induction with the snorkel and smooth bottom cowl. Am I right in thinking that this is only a fuel injected option. I've got this cowl but may have a good deal on a carbureted engine.

Thanks

Yep, the smooth cowl is for forward-facing induction, fuel injected engines only.

Depending on how good the deal is, you might still get the carb'ed engine and convert it to fuel injection. It's not that big of a deal to do so.

There are other options without going to FI.
http://www.navioneer.org/riprelay/The%20Navion%20Files/Bendix1.pdf

And there is a float style horizontal carb (Marvel-Schebler HA-6) that came on several rear-induction Lycs.

I actually have a Lyc sump that's been converted from rear to front induction. I bought it to convert an O-360 A1G6 to front induction, then sold the engine when I decided to go over to the dark side (alternative engine).

The intake tubes seem to be in the 'correct' locations (unlike the C-series sumps) so that no mods to the motor mount should be needed.

I also have a bendix pressure carb in a box that's supposed to be serviceable, but I can't guarantee that (no yellow tag; I bought it here a while back).

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Charlie

Thank you gentlemen,

Since I have the high pressure Andair pump already installed and the aforementioned cowl I figure I may as well hold out for the io 360.

Thanks for the advice

Simon