N788RV

I'm installing a Smoking Airplanes Smoke System. Where have others installed the vent tube exit? I was told that most the RV guys install it on the firewall. I am concerned this would be a fire hazard and create a 1/8 hole in the firewall that I am trying so hard to fire proof. I'm building an RV-8 and the floor is not an easy option. I would rather not install it on the side of the fuselage. I'm tempted to cut the vent tube and use some type of sponge filter on the end to keep it from getting messy or use a small pop rivet for the vent similar to the Vans Static port. I'm installing an inverted systems in the airplane and am also worried about smoke oil draining out the vent went inverted. I believe if I install the vent lower than the tank it will not drain while inverted. Anybody have any good ideas or recommendations? I have also been told that earlier systems had a different vent system. Were there any issues with the older vent system or could I try to use it if I can locate one? By the way if anyone is considering the smoke system, John provides a very professional, complete and easy to install kit and is easy to talk to on the phone. I'm just trying to dig up some more ideas on the vent.

Last edited:
The vent on my RV-6 is out the bottom. The vent is so air will get in as the smoke oil is pumped out (or force out air as the smoke oil expands) so you could use a different vent than the one furnished.

My suggestion is to contact John -at- smokingairplanes.com and ask him. Or phone the number on the web site. There is a flying RV-8 several hangars west of his home that he can go look at if needed.

smoke system vent

Come on guys I know somebody has some ideas. I'm leaning towards the firewall mount or leaving it on the inside.

Here's how I did it

Here's some pictures from the build...works great. Used hose on the inside of the baggage compartment, a bulkhead fitting and copper tubing in the engine compartment which vents out between the exhaust pipes. I use the smoke system fairly often and it works fine.

N788RV said:
Come on guys I know somebody has some ideas. I'm leaning towards the firewall mount or leaving it on the inside.
Mine vents to the interior of the fwd baggage space. It consists of a spiral of 1/4 aluminum tubing attached to the cap on the smoke oil tank. The tank is a plastic outboard motorboat fuel tank with the pump "glued" to the top of the tank. Perfect? No. But I heve yet to spill one drop or smell diesel vapor after 100-150 hrs in service.

Long term, I plan to fab an aluminum tank that fits into the near side of the fwd baggage and vent the tank overboard through the firewall and down near the crankcase vent.

Note - I do not fly any intentional negative g's. Also, do not pressurize the smoke oil tank with a fwd facing or other pressurizing system. There's no need and it creates unecessary hazard.

Smoke on! :cool:

Smoke System Vent

Thanks guys, thats so simple and I just didn't get it. Thats what I will do. I guess thats what this forum is all about.