Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
O.K., so I am very close to firing up my panel. I have put a bit of thought into the way/method of testing the package, and would like input from the "VAF database" as to my ideas.

My plane has a dual battery, dual alternator system, the radios and the EFISs are powered directly from the aux batt, all else directly from the main batt.

The main batt feeds the aux buss through a 35 amp Schottky diode, in case the aux system goes south on me.

My plan is to pull all the circuit breakers, turn off all the electronics that have off switches, and fire up the aux power. I will then energize one circuit at a time, starting with the least important one on the aux buss, then if no issues, pull that breaker, and move on to the next one until all aux system circuits have been tested.

Repete same for the main.

Then go back to the aux and energize circuits one at a time, and adding circuits until all aux breakers are in.

Again, repete for the main.

Obviously, this assumes no smoke escaping------or at least fixing anything that comes up at each stage.

Anybody out there see any issues with this??????

Thanks in advance,

Would be nice to have a total ammeter reading for each buss - so you can watch the draw increase as you add items. This will give you a first indication of something "not quite right", hopefully before smoke evolution begins.

Greg---------great idea. I never thought of that.

This is one reason why I love this site, the resource and information available is incredible.

Anyone else??

Mike - looks like a good plan to me - very much like how we bring an Orbiter to life - start with everything out, then add them individually. If you smell smoke, you should have a good idea who(what) did it!

If you REALLY want to emulate the big boys, build a detailed 100 page checklist for the test, and after each addition, list the ammeter and voltmeter readings, you then can put that big data book on the shelf, and never look at it again....:)

Good luck!

Paul

Paul, thanks for the comments. Looks like I am on the right track.

180 hits, only one suggestion. I am a bit amazed, figured I would have gotten more input-----(read that as I missed things in my procedure.)

Is it really that simple???

Mike,
I do not want to complicate matters, but here is my 2C.
If you can find it I found a bench power supply with an adjustable current limit invaluable. Do as you have mentioned and adjust the current limit to the minimum for the particular item you are switching on. this will ensure the minimum or no damage if there is a short or something. In other words - it will keep all the smoke where it belongs.:)
Jan - South Africa.
7A flying and another 7A in process.

Jan, another good idea.

Thanks.

As things are, my aux power is run through an automotive style fuse------I can just change out fuses to limit each step of the test. Not as sophisticated as what you are suggesting, but simpler and cheaper to get virtually the same result.

And I can easily wire in a test fuse into my main power for testing the main buss stuff.

Appreciate the input.

Yippie!!!!!!!!

Well, after close to 6 weeks of finishing up the rest of the wiring, stalling, procrastinating, finding excuses, Christmas, colds/flu, helping a buddy with a home electrical problem, and a few other legitimate and not so legitimate reasons, and just plain trying to build up my nerve, I finally put the fuse back in the main power lead, and hit the switch.

Nothing happened, so I pushed in a breaker, and another and another and another until---------small boxes of electrons lit up, and ----------------

The smoke stayed in.

As my shirt says, "its five o'clock somewhere". I am going to go mix me a drink.

Glad this is behind me.

was'nt it that knowledge

If you REALLY want to emulate the big boys, build a detailed 100 page checklist for the test, and after each addition, list the ammeter and voltmeter readings, you then can put that big data book on the shelf, and never look at it again....:)

Good luck!

Paul

that saved the apollo 13 crew?

Last edited:
Congrats on the panel. We didn't know how much work was involved until we got the bill!
You also have a good shirt!