dan carley

Well Known Member
i'm thinking of putting a smoke system in my rv-4. any suggestions on companys that make them. i read somewhere back of a company that was about 500 bucks.

thanks
dan carley
RV4
N14FT

Smoke System

Dan,

A friend recommended the system from Smoking Airplanes. He has used it on his RV-7A and loves it. I just purchased the SA-100 kit but am not flying yet.

http://www.smokingairplanes.com/

Talk with John Manduca, the owner. He will most likely be willing to work with you on the system cost; he was with me.

Good luck!

The only complaint I have is that the shut off isn't crisp, it seems to dribble a small amount after I turn it off. Especially under G's. I haven't

This is a common problem and is solved with a solenoid before your injectors. Many kits to accomplish the task. I have an NOS fuel solenoid. has an an-6 inlet, and 2 an-4 outlets which is perfect for the firewall right before the injectors. This will give you instant on and off. Most of your show planes have this sort of set up.

And as the others have said, call John. He IS the standard and there has been no second place in his market.

Best,

Last edited:
Smoke oil

Just wondering what everyone uses for smoke oil. I have been useing Paraflex. Seems okay but it runs around 10 bucks a galon. I have asked this before but always hoping some one will have a less expensive oil..

Jim Knight
RV-6 300 hours

Thanks Kahuna,

I'll look into a solenoid. I have a check valve of some sort that was shipped with the kit that I thought would perform that same function. My theory was that I installed a 2 injector kit and that one injector was sucking air(exhaust) and that allowed the residual oil from the firewall to the opposite injector to dribble into it's respective exhaust? If this is the case a solenoid may not help.

d
I used one solenoid on the single injection point. Figured I'd have to install a second valve with a second injection point when I make the modification one day. Mine actually seemed to siphon and dribble more than just what was in the line until I installed the solenoid valve just inside the firewall.

Re. smoke oil, with my setup diesel provides good smoke for the $$.

NOS fuel solenoid update

FOr a 4 cylinder operation, the NOS 16050 fuel solenoid has a .156 orafis and with the Smoking airplanes pump will flow ~3/4 of a gallon /min. This is pretty much max your pipes can take with 2 injectors. ANy more and your just throwing oil. This means that you could ditch the valve arrangement and run straight pump to solenoid to injectors and get the proper flow. You can restrict the flow if needed with the size of the hole in the injector. My experience is to drill an 1/8" hole in the injector straight threw perpendicular to it, and then one on the end, making 3 holes in total per injector.

If you have a 6 banger, the NOS 16060 has a .218 orafis and works well.

My results based on lots of oil making parties in my hanger doing flow tests on various arrangements. My goal was to ditch the valve. I want on and off, fire and forget... no adjustments.

Enjoy.

I use Texaco Canopus #13; I purchase a 55 gal drum quite some time ago for a little over 100 bucks. Ck with your local IAC chapter, most of us IAC guys/gals have smoke systems and access to smoke oil reserves.
Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com
coversi8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: