Capflyer

Well Known Member
My homebrew smoke system pump Shurflo 8000-643-210 is shot and probably needs the diaphrams replaced after only a few tanks of smoke oil blown. The motor runs but no pumping action. This pump is 1.7gpm, 35psi, continuous running bypass pump, buna valves and geolast diaphrams.

I'm wondering which pump Smoking Airplanes uses on their systems. Can anyone help out with that number? I know it is a Shurflo but not sure which one.

Mike,

SA puts their label over the factory label, so it's impossible to read the part number. Used this in both my -3 and -4 with no problems. Available online or at your local West Marine. RV-4 install here.

Tony

Last edited:
Using at Shurflo 8000-643-236 pump also in a home grown system. Been in use for a couple of years now with no issues.

The pump I ended up getting has been working well but I'll need to get the number off of it when I go to the airport tomorrow evening. Stay tuned.

The Smoking Airplanes pump is an off the shelf pump but has custom proprietary diaphragms and seals that will withstand the smoke oil.

I used a Facet pump similar to the one Vans sells but is made for diesel fuel and is higher pressure. Can't remember the model number or flow rate. I installed it in a F1 Rocket which is now in Germany. It made lots of smoke.

http://www.systemacc.com/catalog/contactUs.php

These guys were *very* helpful with me on several occasions. Custom assembled pump with diesel resistant wetted pump parts. Help with troubleshooting later.

I believe (it's at the hangar) my latest version is the Shurflo 8000 series, 1.8 gpm, 60 psi with switch. I think(!) it has all Viton wetted parts. Threaded connections were mandatory. (No barbed cons for flammable liquid in my plane.)

Next version will be a 12 v submersible type automotive fuel pump.

Last edited:
I was Shurflo's VP of Manufacturing/QA for many years. What you need are Viton valves for the 8000 - definitely not EPDM and probably not nitrile. The Santoprene diaphragm should holdup fine for many years of "smoking". Viton diaphragms were developed for ag spraying applications but are less desirable if you can get the life you need from Santoprene.

The 8000 is an industrial pump and has numerous design changes from the potable water versions used in RV & Marine applications; if it were mine I'd use an 8000 - either a 60 or 100 psig version and avoid the 150 psig pumps.

Dick Kreidel

I finally checked to see what the newer pump I used was. Shurflo 8050-305-526. So far it has worked for the last two seasons. If I recall, there was something in the instructions about mounting it on its side so that is what I did. The old pump was mounted vertically with the pump section at the top. Wondering if this might have been the reason for the failure. Perhaps Dick can chime in on this.

Last year I also changed injectors and went with off the shelf spray nozzles. They seem to do a really nice job, much better than the ones I made before.

The Shurflo 8000 series will function best if mounted with the inlet/outlet ports more or less horizontal; the motor axis doesn't matter. If mounting the pump vertical have the pump head down.

Your pump has Buna-N valves, and although not as oil tolerant as Viton, should last a long time > like 400-500 of hours of use. If the pump quits running you can obtain 3 new valves and diaphragm from Shurflo/Pentair in Costa Mesa CA.

Dick

Last edited: