Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Rather than have my review of the Smoking Airlines system become a thread on uses, it makes more sense to discuss uses/benefits here.

Initially I was going to use it when ATC called out traffic (usually never seen) plus during flights when smoke would be beneficial for ground based observers.

Then two other uses were mentioned:

1) During departure/arrival to an airport when other aircraft have not found you yet.

2) To help form up when aircraft are miles apart (such as arriving from different starting points).

Today, just days after my smoke system became operational, I had my first valid use. I had taken off after two other RVs with the intent to get some performance data. When I heard the other RVs discussing the worse than usual turbulence, I changed plans and decided to try to find them.

I headed north and waited until they were headed south. Several seconds of smoke and they found me right away. I did not see them (about 1500' lower) until they told me I was overhead, turned left and saw them.

No discussing distance and heading to our airport. They had me far quicker than the way we normally try to join up.

Then during the overhead approach I looked down and saw a nice shadow from the smoke.

The only negative is that another RV pilot was driving and saw me and thought that the plane with the smoke was a Yak.

Last edited:
Another good use for smoke...

Burning money. At over $300 per hour! :eek:

(0.8 gal per minute times 60 minutes times $8 per gallon = $384 per hour!)

Burning money. At over $300 per hour! :eek:

(0.8 gal per minute times 60 minutes times $8 per gallon = $384 per hour!)

Avoiding mid-airs: priceless. :)

What are you using that is only $8 USD a gallon. I am pleased that once I get through the $17/gallon stuff I have it drops to $10/gallon.

What are you using that is only $8 USD a gallon. I am pleased that once I get through the $17/gallon stuff I have it drops to $10/gallon.

I don't buy it at all any more. Too expensive for me. I let the air show organizers buy it for me.

TCAS or PCAS

I smoke during all of the previously mentioned phases of flight AND

any time my Zaon PCAS tells me there's a transponder in the vicinity.

If you flew much around DFW......

I smoke during all of the previously mentioned phases of flight AND
any time my Zaon PCAS tells me there's a transponder in the vicinity.

You would have it on about 95% of the time.

Smoke oil

So why not use straight diesel like Tony Spicer has in his smoke system? Seems like it should work pretty well and cost a lot less. That's my plan unless I am missing something here? Thanks. Dave

Why not?

So why not use straight diesel like Tony Spicer has in his smoke system? Seems like it should work pretty well and cost a lot less. That's my plan unless I am missing something here? Thanks. Dave

BOOM!
:eek:

To be more specific....

! WARNING ----- WARNING ----- WARNING !

DO NOT USE FLAMMABLE SUBSTANCES SUCH AS GASOLINE OF ANY TYPE, KEROSENE, DIESEL, JET-A, ALCOHOL OR ANY OTHER FLUID NOT LISTED ON THIS PAGE.

USE OF HIGHLY FLAMMABLE FLUID COULD CAUSE AN EXPLOSION

OR FIRE RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Smoke oil

Finding a suitable smoke oil and reducing costs has been a challenge so far. Diesel does have the advantage of much lower cost and ready availability but my kit explicitly states to not use flammable materials. That makes sense to me. While I read many posts on the internet about people (mainly RC planes) using it, I don't intent to for the end result stated above.

It only takes a five second or so burst of smoke to help others see you. That is about 65 cents using Conosol 260 at $10/gallon. I have read a post or two about getting Conosol 260 for under $5 USD a gallon. This is from 2007. Not sure if that is still valid or based upon a 55 gallon drum. At this point, 55 gallons does not seem to be a viable purchase. That may change if other folks on the airport install smoke systems.

Last edited: