APACHE 56

Well Known Member
Like most of you I want to maximize my chances should I encounter in inflight fire. The smoke hood seems like a good idea and I?d like to know if anyone has more than anecdotal information/recommendation on a particular product.
There is a great review on the net for the Evac-U8 but it was taken off the market due to its failure to meet the CO spec. An alternative is offered, the Flame Stop I-DS, any comments on this product?

Don

Smoke hoods

Don,

I think it's a great idea, but PBE's are going to be expensive ($800-2000) and the size may not work out for smaller RV cockpits.

We purchased those EvacU8'smany years ago for the passengers as something to give them instead of having nothing back there.

Once the bad review came out...we threw them out!

We ended up purchasing "Drager Parat C" smoke hoods and placed them under the seats for all our passengers.

I believe they give about 15 minutes of "filtered" breathing protection.

They expire in about 5 years and Cost about $200

Regards,

Last edited:
Smoke Hood alternative

During an aviation safety class, fall 2010, an Aviation Medical Doctor demonstrated to our class, that a plain plastic oven bag, used to bake a turkey, could be put over your head and provide a few minutes of breathing air and a fair amount of protection from heat. Over the head and tucked under the shirt collar. The bag fogged up from exhaled moisture and he said that fogging was a good indication to stop, before the oxygen got too low.

No guarantee of anything. Do at your own risk.

Ummmm.....

Don't pass out with that oven bag over your head, or you are a goner! Personally I wouldn't try this one.:eek:

In my RAAF days the Hercs used the Essex EPOS in cases of decompression. From memory, they provided protection against smoke and fumes in addition to oxygen...