g zero

Well Known Member
Finishing building a smoke system, two nozzels made out of 3/16 304 stainless rod drilled out with a #40 hole. I am curious aprox how many gph or gpm your smoke system flows .

Thanks,Tom

Smoke

I believe to get good smoke you need to be able to put out about one gallon per minute. I think that my 2 nozzle were about .125 and my pump produces about 55 psi. Pump pressure doesnt effect gallon per minute as much as you might think, it is the same formula as induced drag, 4 times pressure only doubles flow.

Jim Knight
RV-6
Burlington Iowa
DSC00618.jpg

interesting question

I have been fooling with a home grown system. This is what I have. 4.5 gallon tank, pump from Northern tool 70psi that shuts off at 70psi.( had to make a bypass with a flow restrictor to eliminate that) 2 nozzles with .100 inch opening. Nozzles are about 4 inches from the exhaust ports on the cylinders.

If I don't restrict the flow to the nozzles the two pipes will not burn all of the smoke oil. ( the excess runs back on the belly or out on the ground ) I have found that two pipes won't make enough smoke)

I would be curious to hear what others are doing who have a 4 pipe exhaust syst. If I put 1 gph through the two pipes it won't burn that much oil.

Chris M

this is the best I can get with two pipes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdB6MK56uJw

Last edited:
excess oil

I have a Smoking Airplanes systems with a 5.5 gallon tank. At first I was running about .77 gph and had oil all over the belly every time I smoked. I've closed the valve down to 2/3 of a turn open and my tank now lasts almost 10 minutes and my smoke is strong. Belly's alot cleaner too.
I'm running a dual nozzle system, tee'd off the pump and an injector into each pipe.