prkaye

Well Known Member
smilie

Did the elevator skin to spar rivets tonight with my wife. All went very smoothly except for one "smilie", which was my fault. Its at the leading edge of the elevator, top side, near the root.

The skin has a small smile-shaped dent. The scratching/scuffing that you see in the photo is just a result of a quick "buffing" with a scotchbright pad (when I was going over my rivet lines with a scotchbright pad, I also gave the smile a quick wipe). Other than cosmetics, is this smilie something I should worry at all about? Will this worry an inspector?

2 Photos below (two photos of the same dent, different angles).

smile1

smile2

Last edited:
Those photos are really tough to make out. Can you try holding the camera a little farther away?

You're right, those photos were poor. I just ran out with the better camera and took two better photos. I edited my original post and replaced the links, so if you look again you should see more clear photos.
Thanks!

Phil,

If there are no visible cracks, I would view this has only a cosmetic issue. It won't have any aerodynamic effect, and shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the elevator, in my opinion, based on what can be seen in the pictures (keep in mind that my opinion is worth what you paid for it).

Yeah, I was using a swivel set with a rubber guard... I don't really know how that happened... I think my hand somehow slipped, and for a second the rivet gun hit the skin at quite an angle.
I looked again this morning... I really don't think it's too bad. There's no sign of any cracking... just that little ridge... from reading aroud on other threads it sounds like I could use a filler to smooth this out if I'm really concerned about the cosmetics.

Hi Phil... don't know if you have one,,, but I 've been hand squeezing the skins wherever I can reach with the yoke... no smiles, no problems... less noise. usual caveats.... YMMV..etc etc..

M

Yes, I have a 3" yoke and a 4" yoke with my pneumatic squeezer.
But getting back to my ding, shown in those photos... is the concensus that these are harmless? Has anybody else left marks like these in their aircraft (and not replaced the parts)?

What is YMMV?

Keep building

You're going to have lots of little imperfections. Most of them will be insignificant and nothing more than your little secret. I don't think this one is of much concern. Build on. And yes, if you don't like the cosmetics, you can fill it prior to painting.

Phil,

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is just cosmetic. But don't take my word. Call Van's tech support up and ask them. Whenever I have called them up with what I thought was a screw up, they have always responded positively and told me that it isn't a big deal at all. When in doubt, call them up.

You can just leave it. It's on the leading edge of the elevator and once you have them curved and riveted together, it will probably become less noticeable. You could take a spoon and try to rub the dent out some, from the inside, but it's probably not worth doing anything with until paint time. You'll probably have a few more imperfections by then and a better idea of how to work with or around them.

My thought, is that the ding is harmless,, I have a couple of imperfections on the tail as well... it is a learning experience. YMMV.... your mileage may vary :)