RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am in the middle of deciding where to locate the components of the Smart Start System (control module, arm switch, airspeed switch). I am curious where folks put the arm switch, the instructions say to locate this out of sight as a deterrent to theft.

I originally intended to use the airspeed switch, this keeps the start button hot in flight so that if an in flight start is required you don't have to hit the arm switch to make the start switch hot. Well my start button is on the stick and I am starting to think that even though there is a remote chance it might be accidentally pushed I thought I should not use the airspeed switch, so an in flight start would be a two step process 1. hit arm switch 2. hit start button.

Of course if I were to do this I would want the arm switch easy to find. So I am thinking of a remotely located switch in line with the wire that feed into the arm switch. As part of the preflight I would have to make sure this switch is in the on position, of course the plane will not start if it is off. This way I can have the arm switch in easy reach but still have a theft deterrent.

Anyone done their smart start in a similar fashion?

Thanks for any ideas and Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike I have installed the Smart Start module in my RV-8 and went through a similar analysis. I have located the arm switch and light on the aft surface of the left gear tower just above the control quadrant. Mag and fuel pump switches are close at hand also on the left. I am using Infinity grips with the start switch on the stick. I do not use the signal from the airspeed switch which only goes to the trim and flap modules. I plan to hide an enabling switch or put a key lock switch in the cockpit.

I am in the middle of deciding where to locate the components of the Smart Start System (control module, arm switch, airspeed switch). I am curious where folks put the arm switch, the instructions say to locate this out of sight as a deterrent to theft.

I originally intended to use the airspeed switch, this keeps the start button hot in flight so that if an in flight start is required you don't have to hit the arm switch to make the start switch hot. Well my start button is on the stick and I am starting to think that even though there is a remote chance it might be accidentally pushed I thought I should not use the airspeed switch, so an in flight start would be a two step process 1. hit arm switch 2. hit start button.

Of course if I were to do this I would want the arm switch easy to find. So I am thinking of a remotely located switch in line with the wire that feed into the arm switch. As part of the preflight I would have to make sure this switch is in the on position, of course the plane will not start if it is off. This way I can have the arm switch in easy reach but still have a theft deterrent.

Anyone done their smart start in a similar fashion?

Thanks for any ideas and Happy Thanksgiving.

You shouldn't ever need the start switch in flight. The prop will keep spinning if the engine quits. You would have to pull the nose up fairly high to get your air speed down low to get the prop to stop. If the prop stops at higher speeds the starter isn't going to help you.