RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Anyone wire this module into their plane yet? The harness only comes with 22 AWG wires and the module is only protected with a 2 AMP Fuse/Breaker. All of the AEC diagrams show a 20 AWG wire protected with a 7 AMP CB. I am trying to figure out if there will be any problems with the small gage wires.

I used 20 AWG

Mike I have recently finished installing that module in my 8. I used 20 AWG wire for the power and contactor leads, as I am building my own harnesses. I had similar concerns about the low current rating of the recommended breaker and contacted the manufacturer. He stated that the module would handle 5-7 amps but that they had found the lower rating to be adequate. I am at work right now and do not have figures at hand but as I recall my contactor will draw around 4 amps at 12 volts so I plan to use a 5 amp breaker.

He also said some people use a continuous duty contactor, i.e. a battery contactor, for starting purposes. Those contactors have a higher resistance and draw much less but may not hold well as voltage drops under the starter load. I do not plan on doing this.

Chuck

New info from TCW on Breaker

I received an email from Bob Newman at TCW, although they have had no issues with the system the discussion on this AEC board made them double check the the fuse requirements and after consulting with some starter contact manufacturers they have upped the fuse requirement to a 5 amps. The on-line version of the manual is now updated to reflect this change. It seems a 3 amp fuse would be fine but since the wire size will accommodate the 5 amp fuse they are making the change to 5 amps.