RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am in the middle of installing the Smart Start and would like some feedback from anyone who has used it in practice.

There is an option for an Armed light, when you push the armed switch this lets you know the start switch is active. There is also a speed switch so that the start switch is active above a certain airspeed (40kts), this was you don't have to fumble with the arm switch for an emergency in flight start.

My question is will the Armed Light come on above 40 knots. I have a query into TCW but thought I might find an answer from someone that is using the system.

Having this light on in flight is not desirable in my opinion nor is being conditioned to a light coming on during take off roll very smart. I hope the light is inhibited in flight.

Thanks

I have it installed in my 8 since my first flight and works great. I don't think the 40 knots swith is necessary.

Update

Bob Newman of TCW replied to my email very quickly. He said that if the armed light is installed then when the thing arms at 40 knots then the light will come on. He said that they are looking at a work around for this since the light is not needed in the air.

I plan to just install the Smart start without the light, then if the start button does not work then I will hook up a temporary light to see if the problem is the button or the smart start module. I will have the wiring done in case there is a work around.

The only work around I can see is to use a canopy locked switch to inhibit the armed light in flight, then the armed light could also be a canopy open light. Hmmm I might be onto something!

Last edited: