Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
My Wife and I just updated our cell phones to the new smart phones. Are there any aviation type apps that you might recommend?

Sporty's E6B app is handy and available for both Android and iPhone.

I also like the ASA FAR/AIM app for iPhone/iPad. Once you've bought the app, updates are free and the contents are searchable - I don't buy hardcopy FAR/AIMs any more. I use it on my iPad when doing ground portions of BFRs, IPCs, etc...really handy.

HTH

Dave

Last edited:
WeatherMeister
Navmonster.com/mobile
i.wund.com(weather underground)

Not aviation related, but it really comes in handy when you leave the airport from your xc and don't know where things are:
AroundMe

How well can you see the Kindle Fire screen in bright sunlight conditions? Can you compare to the Ipad?

Free Apps

If you're cheap like me these work for Android. Not sure for iPhone.

"FlightIntel" is like an Airport facility directory and is excellent for a free app.

For mapping I like "Locus Free". It allows you to download maps to your droid for use when you are offline. It has many maps to choose from including VFR and IFR charts. It isn't great for navigation but does give you situational awareness. Also download the "Locus - addon Map Tweak".

I use "GPS Status & Toolbox" so I can see what the Droid GPS is seeing.

For weather I like "iMap Weather". It provides looping radar, lightning strikes and current conditions while following you over a Google moving map. The storm map updates every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
If it's Android, I really like Naviator.
I'm seriously considering giving in to the Borg, er, Apple mobile world. Currently fairly happy using a Droid X, but sure would really like to have ForeFlight Mobile on my phone.

Can anyone offer some actual experience, preferably in a flying environment, using the two systems/devices (gps, music playback, op system stability, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

I just switched from a Droid X to an iPhone 4s, and I'm really glad I did. Having access to a full Foreflight subscription on both iPhone and iPad is awesome - so much better than the cut-down version of FF for Android. If there were a better moving-map app for Android, I might have been tempted to keep the Droid X.

In fact, I'm using Foreflight right now to track the position of the flight I'm on from Boston to LAX, and posting this via Gogo inflight wifi. Ain't technology great?

dAKvbLEj

Dave

Last edited:
How well can you see the Kindle Fire screen in bright sunlight conditions? Can you compare to the Ipad?

I don't have an Ipad, but I'd say it's as good as any smartphone I've used (poor). The videos I linked to above were done later in the afternoon, and even then, the glare was pretty bad. It was certainly still usable, but no where near as bright or clear as the Skyview.

I just switched from a Droid X to an iPhone 4s, and I'm really glad I did. Having access to a full Foreflight subscription on both iPhone and iPad is awesome - so much better than the cut-down version of FF for Android. If there were a better moving-map app for Android, I might have been tempted to keep the Droid.

In fact, I'm using Foreflight right now to track the position of the flight I'm on from Boston to LAX, and posting this via Gogo inflight wifi. Ain't technology great?

Dave

Did you try Naviator or AviationMaps? You can check out the videos I linked above if you've never seen them. They'll run on an Android phone or tablet.

According to Nielson ratings, Android just recently toppled iOS as the dominant smartphone platform in the US. I have no doubt that the same will eventually happen for tablets. Good Android apps are here and more/better ones are on the way.

On a side note - I had a 10" ASUS Transformer and it was a very inconvenient size to use in the RV cockpit. I've heard that the ipad, at 10", can also be inconvenient. The 7" Kindle Fire($200) or the 7" Nook Color($200)/Tablet($250) are perfect, and can be operated one-handed.

Did you try Naviator or AviationMaps? You can check out the videos I linked above if you've never seen them. They'll run on an Android phone or tablet.
Andy,

Yes, I tried Naviator on my Droid X and it just didn't impress me when I compared it to a friend's iPhone running Foreflight. FF *is* more expensive, but for me the extra capability justifies the expense.

My iPad has only been awkward when I try to use both it and my normal kneeboard/approach plate holder. Now that I'm using the FF scratchpad function to copy clearances/ATIS/etc, I don't really need the kneeboard as much.

I see from your sig that you're an Android app developer...good luck with your projects!

Dave

Last edited:
Andy,

Yes, I tried Naviator on my Droid X and it just didn't impress me when I compared it to a friend's iPhone running Foreflight. FF *is* more expensive, but for me the extra capability justifies the expense.

My iPad has only been awkward when I try to use both it and my normal kneeboard/approach plate holder. Now that I'm using the FF scratchpad function to copy clearances/ATIS/etc, I don't really need the kneeboard as much.

I see from your sig that you're an Android app developer...good luck with your projects!

Dave

I can't argue with your choice. I've been so very close to buying an ipad myself. But, I have no intention of installing itunes on my PC. IMO, it's a horrible app, and it makes no sense that a music app should be required to sync the ipad to a computer.

That, and apple only provides developer support on macs. At the very least they should put out a linux SDK. I understand it is probably a marketing tactic to get people to buy macs....

grrr... Just venting :)