RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Rvators,

Ok I want to share with you a small modification I am doing to my wing in order to aid an in flight adjustable VP prop on my RV12. I know you USA guys can?t modify, yet, but luckily I can?

If you thinking about a VP prop then you need to mod your wing while building it to accommodate a pitot line. The current RV 12 has the pitot sticking through the Gearbox hole out the front of the spinner, to aid wing removal. The problem is that most Rotax VP props use that same hole to adjust the pitch in flight. In addition the RV12 does not have inspection holes in the wing, since there are no control rods in it, so fitting a pitot line after the build will be difficult since there is no access. See the problem?

So I decided to do it early during the build, and not mod it later.

I choose the left wing since at least there is a Stall Warning inspection hole. I fitted my pitot forward the spar but aligned with this inspection hole, close to the spar and rib for support. I will fit a pitot similar to my RV7 plans, but you don?t drill through Spar flange, since it is forward of the spar, so you need to create a small backing re-enforcement plate. Then I drilled an extra set of holes similar to the routing wing lights holes in the ribs at the back of the ribs, close to the spar, leading inboard for the pitot line. At the most inboard rib I am thinking to put a 90 degree bulk head fitting pointing forward. I will connect a flexible pitot line (to aid wing removal) from this point somehow into the fuselage. I have not got a fuselage kit yet, so I don?t have everything figured out yet, but at least my wing is sorted and I am on the way to a VP prop. If you decide to do the same, use what I did as a guideline and apply your mind! You're the builder...good luck!

For reference below are my RV7 plans and some pictures:
pitot_1.jpg

A pitot mount re-enforcement plate just forward and clear of the Spar and ribs, but still close enough for support. Note the Stall Warning inspection hole for access to the pitot mounting point if ever needed.
pitot_2.jpg

The fitting sticking out the bottom of the wing.
pitot_3.jpg

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Two more pictures

The Pitot connection at the inspection hole. Note the line passes high through the adjoining rib so that you can put the bend and clearence for the pipebend to bulkhead pitot connect.
pitot_4.jpg

The inboard rib connect, low down on the rib to hopefully ensure fuselage clearence, and pointing forward. (Remember I don't have fuse yet to confirm)
pitot_5.jpg

Regards
Rudi