DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Primarily for those who are looking to put parts someplace when their kits arive, here are photos of mine, it seems to be working out good. Small parts bins are cheapies from Harbor Freight, the emp/tailcone crate was made into a shelf unit. I have made a cheat sheet to find the bag I am looking for so I don't have to put labels on the parts bins. As you can see, the small parts bns are just about full, I think I have unpacked all the small parts bags now.
nlwyvd.jpg

33f4vub.jpg

Bags

The bins and shelves are a great idea. If you think your project will take a while to build (like me) you may want to get a cabinet with doors (garage sale). But do yourself a favor and open, inventory and sort the contents of the parts bags. The instructions don't usually tell you what bag to look in for the AN3-4A bolt, washer and nuts. Often there are several bags of similar stuff, just different quantities. Little plastic parts drawers work well (look for sales).

Don, how are these bits & pieces labeled as received from Vans? What - if anything - does each little brown bag or cleary vinyl bag have on it? Are the labels related to the kit #s?

Great idea on turning a kit's shipping box into a kit's storage shelves. Momma didn't raise no dummy...

Jack

All of the bags are labled with a bag number. The brown paper bags have only that number and have to be bounced up against the hardware inventory sheets that comes with the kit to ascertain the bag's contents. Some bags, like the one's contain rivets, have only one type of item in them. Others have all kinds of odds and ins. There's also small plastic bags that not only have the bag number, but have an inventory of the contents printed on the outside as well.

Cleco holder...

I noticed a cardboard box full of what appears to be clecos in the cabinet. For those of you who have cats, here is a better method for storing and using clecos:

xli2cn.jpg

(Cats sand container with some cleaver blade work.):eek:

Primarily for those who are looking to put parts someplace when their kits arive, here are photos of mine, it seems to be working out good. Small parts bins are cheapies from Harbor Freight, the emp/tailcone crate...

As stated, each bag has a number, that number is on a sheet that lists the contents of the bag. They are also tied to a specific kit. The only real improvement I could think of, is if they hit the key on their computer that put the bags and parts in numerical order, it would save gobs of inventory time. As it is, you must take an item from the crate, then go thru several sheets of listings of numbers to find it to check it off. So much easier if they were in order.
My clecos are on a Harbor Freight twirly thing, along with other parts, looks like that will work out well too.
spf576.jpg

Small parts holder

Here is what I like to use :)
I have each little tub labeled on the side with a brother p-touch label. You'll need that to make labels for your wiring and your instrument panel when you get to that, so go ahead and buy one now.

LittleParts02.jpg

Last edited:
What Bobby said!

The Stanley (originally Zag) parts holders he shows are the best thing I've tried, and I've tried a lot over the years. They latch closed, they stack, and you can take the one you need over to the spot you're working on if you wish. Highly recommended.

I've used both the original Stanley (Zag) ones (at work) and the Harbor Freight knockoffs (at home).

So far, the Harbor Freight ones are standing up great for me. I was worried that the normal step down in quality would mean that the bins weren't as secure.

Bin security when full of AN426AD3-rivets during a fall from a 36" table is great. Ask me how I know.

I write on the back wall of each of the containers with a sharpie. Wipes off easily with acetone (pictured) when I need to change or consolidate bins.

20100816-054-large-medium.jpg

We used 3 plastic storage boxes, but only for the most commonly used rivets, nutplates, washers and threaded fasteners. For all of the rest of the parts, we left them in the paper bags and filed them in shoeboxes by bag number. The inventory sheets are on a clipboard. When you need something, take the clipboard and the shoebox to the workbench and pick the parts you need. For us, this not only saved time on parts filing, it made picking parts easier. For the 4 or 5 most common washers and screws, I ordered 50-100 extra of each and stored them in cottage cheese containers. It's nice to have a surplus and they're inexpensive.

Cat litter containers are good but can be a little large. I use liquid detergent bottles cut down as in the picture. A large bottle holds enough clecos for a skin while a smaller one is handy for #30 clecos. The handle is a nice touch.
FP25052010A00008.jpg

I bought a whole bunch of metal racks for the hangar but I also bought four restaurant style wire racks, two with wheels. They are great for holding sub-assemblies and larger parts and can be easily moved to handy locations. Expensive, but cheap compared to the project or tool costs.

I also like the Akro-Mils boxes, though labels tend to peel after awhile. I tend to leave bag contents together except for common hardware (bolts, screws, nutplates). I can usually find bag contents quickly.

The typical build takes a number of years -- more than most builders anticipate.
I would stay don't leave your hardware in the brown paper bags, as they seem to attract moisture.
I live in a damp climate on the west coast and have found some parts corroding in the bags.

Im tired

wheeww,, all those du dads and da dos with lids and drawers sure do make me tired trying to keep up with it. My method is from pure simplicity. If you drink bottled water, v8 juice, or coke, just save all the plastic bottles. They are perfect for all rivets, screws, and small parts that will fit in the neck. Save the large mouth plastic mayonaise jars for AN bolts and Nuts. Then just stick a masking tape label on them and throw um in a cardboard box till you need them. separate the various groupings in different boxes. If you need some AN426 3-4 or CS 4-4 pops, just grab the bottle and take it to where ever your going to do the work. pour out what you need in a cup and put the cap back on.. throw the bottle on the bench. keeps my mind from getting tired. :eek: