ericwolf

Well Known Member
Van's calls for a hose clamp to hold the nose gear leg fairing in place. The problem is that it interferes with the nose wheel pant when the wheel is swung near the extremes of the travel (before reaching the stops). I can't seem to find a hose clamp that is small enough....any suggestions?

ericwolf said:
Van's calls for a hose clamp to hold the nose gear leg fairing in place. The problem is that it interferes with the nose wheel pant when the wheel is swung near the extremes of the travel (before reaching the stops). I can't seem to find a hose clamp that is small enough....any suggestions?

McMaster sells super narrow hose clamps that work well. You'll need to buy ten and split em with local builders (or perhaps there is a better source).

I have a similar problem but on mine-- the hose clamp bumps the pant unless I keep lowering the clamp-- and then it barely holds any fairing and it was off and just along for the ride the last several hours.

I have the tiny ETC fairing glassed on the pant so the fairing can't go anywhere. I assume.

If I had to do it over again, I'd pay closer attention to the fairing clearance while turning the nose wheel. I had it nice and tight down low and then had to go back a clip the faining several times for it to clear when the nose wheel turns.

like I said, I had to slide my clamp down lower. good luck

kevinh said:
McMaster sells super narrow hose clamps that work well. You'll need to buy ten and split em with local builders (or perhaps there is a better source).

Yep, I got them from McMaster and have been handing them out to local Seattle area builders for the last 3 years. I think the clamps are 3/8" wide instead of 1/2.

I also found the best solution was to extend the fiberglass on the fairing a bit lower and build up a lip on the bottom end of it. This "lip" keeps the clamp on the fairing instead of sliding down and off.

Try motorcycle shop

I got a few spare clamps from work where I do training on UAV mechanics. We use a very narrow(but ~ 1-1/2" dia) hose clamp to hold our air filters to a carb inlet tube. A bike shop may have something similar.

yes, what andy said.

If I added to the bottom of the fairing, building more tab I'd be able to push te fairing up (so the arch clears the pan) and still have enough tab for the clamp to work and not slide off the bottom.

maybe I'll see if I can find some short pops and add a piece of alum.

because my clamp definitely isn't gripping enough fiberglass, it's going to keep fallng off.