bkc3921

Well Known Member
FYI..12is, Section 39, Canopy, Page U13, Dated 02/04/19, Revision 2, Attaching the canopy guides to the roll bar:

Step 1 in the KAI says to "Final drill to #19 the holes..." and then "tap to 8/32"..(to receive a #8 screw)....Van's confirms the #19 hole size is an error, and will be corrected when engineering gets to it.

A #19 hole is far too big for an 8/32 tap. If you drill them, you will have to tap for a #10 screw, slightly enlarge the holes in the guide block, and come up with 4 #10 screws on your own. Probably should have said "Final drill to #30 (or so)"

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sorry if this has already been addressed on this forum, but I could not find anywhere it is mentioned. Proceed as you see best.

KAI Canopy Error

FYI..12is, Section 39, Canopy, Page U13, Dated 02/04/19, Revision 2, Attaching the canopy guides to the roll bar:

Step 1 in the KAI says to "Final drill to #19 the holes..." and then "tap to 8/32"..(to receive a #8 screw)....Van's confirms the #19 hole size is an error, and will be corrected when engineering gets to it.

A #19 hole is far too big for an 8/32 tap. If you drill them, you will have to tap for a #10 screw, slightly enlarge the holes in the guide block, and come up with 4 #10 screws on your own. Probably should have said "Final drill to #30 (or so)"

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sorry if this has already been addressed on this forum, but I could not find anywhere it is mentioned. Proceed as you see best.

Thank you so much for your timely post, as I am on page U-11 of Section 39 and will shortly be on page 13, at which time I shall use a #30 drill bit instead of #19.

Brian, thanks for the tip. I made a copy of your post, took it to my airplane factory and final drilled with a #30 this weekend. All went well!

Van's Response

Has Van's posted any form of correction to the KAI? I've been on their email list for over two years and, unless I have forgotten (which is quite possible), I do not think I ever received any notice of changes. I've only learned of such things via this forum (AND THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT!).

Last edited: