From the beginning, I always experienced slow cranking on our 0-360 with an Odyssey PC-680 battery and MagnaFlight MZ6222 lightweight starter. I would have to bump the starter to get the prop past compression. In 3 years, I purchased 3 Odyssey batteries because when they got a tad weak, (12.1 v with master switch on) and it was cold, the engine would not crank. My research indicated that some others were having the same problem, and solutions ranged from changing to a larger amperage battery to increasing the charging voltage from 14.3 to 14.6, (the latter I did to no avail). I was bemoaning my problems to Bill @ B&C while ordering a new Odyssey with a fresh manufacture date when he asked which starter I had. When I told him it was a MagnaFlight, he said it was without a doubt the problem, & was not even a good boat anchor (too light). I followed his directions and confirmed the starter was drawing up to 600 amps and the voltage at the starter dropped to 8.4v, when it should be drawing 250 to 300A @ 10+V. He explained the MagnaFlight was a permanent magnet design, cheaply made, versus his being series wound, with ball bearings and metal gears, @ 10.2#.
So, in July 2009, I purchased a B&C BCS20C-149 for $567 delivered. The B&C starter spins the engine twice as fast with no bump & the voltage only drops to 10.7v. I did not take the time to set up my video camera to check the amperage draw, but it has to be significantly less. In fact, I may have the only hybrid RV since I pull the mixture during flight & fly using the starter, until the battery drains down, then I restart the engine! I waited until now to write my report to see if 40 degree weather would slow the cranking. I am happy to report there is no difference. I now have two spare perfectly good Odyssey batteries that I use to power my GPS simulator at home. Case closed!
P.S. There are many factors that can affect cranking, so do not assume a new starter will solve your problem until you have ruled out everything else or have done a draw test.

Scott,

What you just described is a well known phenomenon with lightweight (permanent magnet) starters. The missing piece of data from your post is the type of prop. The flywheel inertia of a heavy prop (ie. Hartzell) will often be enough to overcome this issue, but if you have a lightweight prop, you're toast.

So, what kind of prop do you have?

Scott - where is your battery located and what size? The length and size of cable from battery to starter is another factor. The shorter the better.

thanks,

Ken

Ken, The battery is an Odyssey PC680, 16AH located in the standard location on the engine side of the firewall, all per Vans. The cable is 30" of #2 & there was little difference in voltage between the battery & the starter when cranking attributable to the cable. This is clearly a case of a piece of junk starter as I thought when I disassembled it for cleaning and maintenance at the required 50 hours. I should have replaced it then and saved a lot of time and $.

Thanks Scott. I was afraid you'd say that. Exactly the set-up I have now :( and turning a wood sensenich won't help either. I did have this on a different airframe with the battery in a baggage compartment but was turning a Hartzell C/S prop. Still had to "bump" the starter past the first compression stroke and hoped that having the battery up front would solve the issue. Guess not.