txaviator

Well Known Member
I am a little confused on this, and before calling Van's, I figured I would ask the group:

I have slow build -9 wings. However, I am planning to order a QB fuselage very soon. What's the procedure? Don't I need to ship back part of the wing kit to Van's in order for them to properly build the QB fuse?

Thanks for the tips! Now that my new 1200' shop is completed, I am looking forward to starting on the wings in the next few months.

Take care,

Yep, you send the center section to be adapted to the fuselage. There may be some other parts too, I'm not sure.

Re: Slow wings quick fuse

This adds a tremendous amount of lead time to your QB delivery. 6-9 months. It depends on when they are sending containers to the QB factory so you are either lucky or not on hitting the right time to send your center section back to Vans.

I asked this question when on the phone with Van's last week. Use the regular kit order form (not the QB form), and send the center section back. They told me lead time for the -7 fuselage was 4-6 months from when they receive the center section. Hope this helps.

rv9aviator said:
Yep, you send the center section to be adapted to the fuselage. There may be some other parts too, I'm not sure.

There is a disconnect of information on this thread.

Back in 2003, my airplane was wrecked in an off field landing that resulted in considerable fuselage damage but not a scratch on the wings. After the insurance settlement, it was decided to buy a QB fuselage, which Van's had in stock because someone sent it back, and rebuild using the original wings.

The question of wing/fuselage spar match was asked. I was assured it would fit just fine due to the accuracy of their precision drilling equipment. And it did, perfectly. :) I sent nothing to the factory.

I believe the -9 has the same spar system as the -7.

David Domeier
RV-7A
Troy, MO
Van's #70374

txaviator said:
I am a little confused on this, and before calling Van's, I figured I would ask the group:

I have slow build -9 wings. However, I am planning to order a QB fuselage very soon. What's the procedure? Don't I need to ship back part of the wing kit to Van's in order for them to properly build the QB fuse?

Thanks for the tips! Now that my new 1200' shop is completed, I am looking forward to starting on the wings in the next few months.

Take care,
Here's vans answer to your question.
(I asked it earlier in the year) Their answer in red.
I have a 9A kit (90817) and I am currently working on the wings. I would like to order soon a QB fuse and I know that I need to send back the main spar carry through piece so that you can install it into the QB fuse.

My questions are:

1. Are there other components that need to be sent back as well?

THE CENTER SECTION COMPONENTS ALL CAME WRAPPED TOGETHER AND ARE GOLD ANODIZED. WE'LL NEED THIS WHOLE BUNDLE.

F-904 A...B...C(L&R)...D(L&R)...G (two)

-mike

Hey Gary,

Since you may be going QB wings too, would you mind coming over to build a small addition onto my shop before you get started? I wouldn't think it would set you back more than, oh, say 12 or 13 months! :eek:

Actually, what's scary is that if you go QB wings and QB fuse you'll be basically where I am now! So much for that extra free time I've had the past year that you haven't!

Scott_F said:
I asked this question when on the phone with Van's last week. Use the regular kit order form (not the QB form), and send the center section back. They told me lead time for the -7 fuselage was 4-6 months from when they receive the center section. Hope this helps.
What part of the term "quick build" does a 4-6 month wait fall under? That sounds like you had better have Van's do what they do with your center section spars before they ever deliver your wing kit to you or you might as well go the regular build route. Being as I am currently working on the slow build fuselage section now I can say that, even though I may be a slow builder, I can imagine that most builders should be able to be quite far along on the fuselage after 6 months of building.

I sure wouldn't want to wait around for 6 months twiddling my thumbs while waiting for delivery of a QB fuselage. :rolleyes:

RVbySDI said:
What part of the term "quick build" does a 4-6 month wait fall under? That sounds like you had better have Van's do what they do with your center section spars before they ever deliver your wing kit to you or you might as well go the regular build route. Being as I am currently working on the slow build fuselage section now I can say that, even though I may be a slow builder, I can imagine that most builders should be able to be quite far along on the fuselage after 6 months of building.

I sure wouldn't want to wait around for 6 months twiddling my thumbs while waiting for delivery of a QB fuselage. :rolleyes:

Steve,
Unfortunately, I'm not working as fast as some (probably most) others on the plane. I woke up not too long ago and realized that more than half the years my oldest son (now 10) will probably live in my house are gone (in a flash), so at this point playing catch with the kids takes priority. I'd estimate I have around 4-6 months of work left on my wings so I'm at the point of deciding if I want to spring the extra bucks on a QB and have it here when I'm finished with the wings.

But Dave D had a good point - if the CNC machining and drilling is so accurate, why can't they seperate the QB kits? Maybe they could slightly undersize the wing to fuselage holes and let the builder ream them when they mate the wings.

Been There

I did exactly what you are contemplating. The fuse was at Vans before I knew it. I had to send back all of the parts for the center section. I thought that I was going to have aproblem with the money end and was going to thave to cancel my order. Vans told me that the parts are very accurate and that when I was ready to order at a later time I should not have any problem with a different center section. They stated that they have had this experince numerous times and it has never been a problem. Well the money thing worked out and I ended up with my own center section so that ended up not being an issue. If they have a fuse in stock you just might have one in your hads before you know it. The parts should mate up just fine according to Vans.

OK, am I the only one that will ask this question?

Don't you have to send back your parts because they are rivited into your new QB fuse? I too have heard the hooey about your parts to your wings, but I agree that all of the parts that are computer generated should be identical and fit. I just thought you needed to send the parts back to complete the QB fuse.

FWIW

But Dave D had a good point - if the CNC machining and drilling is so accurate, why can't they seperate the QB kits? Maybe they could slightly undersize the wing to fuselage holes and let the builder ream them when they mate the wings.

What they really need to do is make the center section parts part of the fuselage kit instead of the wing kit. That is, if the drilling is that accurate. I'd sure hate to drill an even slightly oblong hole in the wing/center due to a mismatch.