RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have run thought the Van's heavy wing trouble guide and determined that my right outboard aileron hinge sits too high by 1/16th. I have slotted the holes to lower the aileron and now waiting on good weather to test fly, I have my fingers crossed.

With regard to the bracket, if once I like the bracket position, can't I just drill a hole for a new bolt between the existing two to secure the bracket. The guide talks about getting a blank bracket and transferring the new hole positions to it, but trying to determine the hole center from an oblong hole seems like a not so exact procedure. I think I might just end up with another bracket with sloppy holes.

I have heard this method suggested on this forum but Van's of course has never heard of this being done and had no opinion, basically said I was YOYO (your on your own). They did admit that to get a good transfer of the oblong holes to a new bracket is difficult and better done by a machinist!

If you have done this method please post, if you have an engineering opinion please post. Hours flown with this method and typical 'G' loading you fly with (do you do vertical aerobatics loop etc) would help me decide if this method strength level would work. I am no engineer but seems that the third hole would keep the bracket from moving up down and an #8 screw and nut would minimizer the size of the hole. The hole would sit between two rivets.

Cheers
Mike

Not necessary, slot the bracket holes and leave them be. I know of a couple RV's that are flying this way. The aileron bracketry was off on my F1 and since those were predrilled to the ailerons I had to slot the holes with my milling machine. As long as the bolts are tight nothing will go anywhere and I can't see any way that the aileron could be loaded in such a way to cause movement down the length of the slots.

But if you want to sleep better you can always drill another hole for another nut/bolt to lock it in place.

Last edited: