Cadstat

Well Known Member
I'm still getting to know my 1999 RV6A. It's tanks were sealed by the old Proseal slosh method. I can see that several large pieces are starting to flake off the ribs near the fuel filler opening. Does it make sense to try and remove the peel I can get to or is this a losing battle? There are 740 hours on the plane and I'm wondering what risk I'm running with the tanks in this condition? The fuel gauge senders were inadvertantly 'sealed' in place and have never worked.

Last edited:
I hate to say this...

...but a new pair of tanks is in order! There's no way to get to all the slosh to remove it. Well, maybe drill the back of the tanks off might give you the access you need.

A new pair of tanks is really not a biggie.

Best,

First off, I can't imagine anyone sloshing tanks in 1999.
The slosh problem was discovered looooong before that.
Removing the slosh is not a big deal. It's not exactly fun, but it's not that bad. Cut a hole in the rear baffle at each except the most inboard. You can remove the slosh with MEK. Then install cover-plates over the holes. We've done quite a few without a problem.
If you don't want to do it yourself, the Hotel/Whiskey guys will do it for a nominal charge. They are the guys that build the extended range tanks for RVs.

Creating large access panels in the rear flange for access will help.

The white slosh can be cleaned with MEK and a stiff brush (all the usual precautions needed) - it's a slow process but does work.

IMHO the slosh peeling off is quite a hazard - unlike dirt bits, the loose sheets of slosh could clog up filters and block ports much quicker and easier....:(

First off, I can't imagine anyone sloshing tanks in 1999.
The slosh problem was discovered looooong before that.

Mel, if 1999 was the first flight, the tanks were probably built well before that.

Mel, if 1999 was the first flight, the tanks were probably built well before that.

Yeah, you're probably right. My loooong term memory ain't what it used to be.

As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it used to be!

Speaking of fuel tanks I thought I saw somewhere awhile back where you could buy pre built tanks(RV9) but can't seem to find it now, am I just over looking it or cans someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Would you be talking about this?

On another note, how can the words proseal and slosh be used in the same sentence? I don't have much experience with proseal, but I can't imagine being able to slosh it.

Hey Guys.......

If you can build an airplane, you can build a couple of fuel tanks!
They aren't that bad.