Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I have about 110+ hours on my RV-7A. I feel most of the time I am one with the plane. However I have noticed something during landing that is puzzling me.

I have a Dynon 180 and the slip/slid ball is centered when my RV is on level ground and during level flight (no trim tab needed) and on takeoff if I don't apply right rudder then the ball is off to the right.

However during landing I have noticed that as I slow down on final the ball is off to the right by about 1/2 a ball. So this implies I need right rudder. However I actually need left rudder input to straighten the plane out to land. Typically I have a slight right crosswind during landing however I have seen this ball behavior before with calm winds. I can assure you that when I touch down I am aligned with the runway.

Today I installed a 2 1/4" old school slip/skid indicator. I hope to fly during the week to see if the Dynon 180 is behaving correctly.

Any thoughts?

If you have a crosswind from the right then the ball indication is correct since you are in a slip, holding left rudder and right wing low prior to touchdown. I have no explanation for such an indication in the absence of a cross wind, however.