Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
The RV entry list for the Memphis 100 on October 27 looks slim (two in the RV Blue Class and one in the RV Red Class). I would have expected more from this geographic location. Otherwise this 100 mile short cross country race looks good. Several F1 Rockets including one coming in from Canada. All of the classes are defined at www.sportairrace.org. I plan to have my RV-6A there in the RV Blue class (360 cu. in.) in short race form - new 3" wing tips and tip tanks removed. Maybe It will get up to 176 kts - it could happen. The promo says spectators are welcome and the race will start and end at M01, Gen D. Spain airport (right by the mighty Mississippi just north of town).

The following racers have registered for the Memphis 100 as of 15 September, 2007:

Race # Name Aircraft Class
Race 007 Rene' Dugas Turbo Legend Unlimited
Race 29 Jack Morrison E Racer MK II Unlimited
Race 74 Duncan Sutherland SX300 Sport
Race 09 Tom Martin EVO Rocket Sport FX
Race 25 Bill Snapp RV-8A Sport FX
Race 32 Howard Rhodes F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 33 Jeff Linebaugh F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 47 Bill Hibbing Glasair IIS FT Sport FX
Race 52 Don Saint Glasair IIS FT Sport FX
Race 86 Gene Holcomb F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 13 James Redmon Berkut 360 RG Blue
Race 51 Rick Pellicciotti Long EZ RG RG Red
Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A RV Blue
Race 41 Cam Benton RV-4 RV Red
Race 91 Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD FX Blue
Race 06 Jim Hogue Mustang II FX Red
Race 22 Sam Hoskins Quickie Q200 Sprint

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob,

What are the rules with regards to displacement classification for turbocharged engines?

I'm thinking of prepping and modifying my Sube powered -6A for cross country races sometime in the future.

Classes

I copied the class information from the website http://www.sportairrace.org below. Membership in the SARL is free and the website is basically open to anyone (there is a small members only section). From what I have experienced so far if a race organizer gets a SARL sanction they must provide the opportunity for every class to race. I do not know what the displacement of your engine will be but depending on that the most likely classes would be Formula: RV-T Red or blue or UNLIMITED if the engine displacement is over 360 cu. in.

The Race Classes

UNLIMITED Any Experimental Category aircraft with a turbocharged engine with a displacement of 1400 cubic inches or less. Class winners in both Fixed and Retractable gear.

SPORT CLASS Any Experimental Category aircraft with a normally aspirated engine with a displacement of 1000 cubic inches or less.

SPORT FX Any Experimental Category aircraft with 550 cubic inch displacement normally aspirated with Fixed Landing Gear for RV-10s, F-1 Rocket, Harmon Rocket II etc.

FORMULA RG Blue Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with retractable landing gear.

FORMULA RG-T Blue Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with retractable landing gear.

FORMULA RG Red Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with retractable landing gear. FORMULA RG-T Red Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with retractable landing gear.

FORMULA FX Blue Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with at least two fixed landing gear.

FORMULA FX-T Blue Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with at least two fixed landing gear.

FORMULA FX Red Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with at least two fixed landing gear.

FORMULA FX-T Red Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with at least two fixed landing gear.

FORMULA RV Blue Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.

FORMULA RV-T Blue Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.

FORMULA RV Red Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.

FORMULA RV-T Red Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.

SPRINT CLASS Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 240 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.

SPRINT-T CLASS Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 240 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.

SPORSTMAN Any Experimental Category aircraft using a VW or Corvair normally aspirated engine conversion

SPORSTMAN-T Any Experimental Category aircraft using a VW or Corvair turbocharged engine conversion

FAC1 Normally Aspirated Twins

FAC1-T Turbo Normalized Twins

FAC2 250-360 HP, Normally Aspirated

FAC2-T 250-360 HP, Turbo Normalized

FAC3 150-225 HP, Normally Aspirated

FAC3-T 150-225 HP, Turbo Normalized

FAC4 100HP and below, Normally Aspirated

FAC4-T 100HP and below, Turbo Normalized

After looking at the Sportairrace site, this looks like fun. Robbie Attaway appears to have a very fast RV with the Whirlwind prop.

Timing is done by GPS it appears. Is it brakes off until touchdown or some sort of flyby?

memphis 100

If I can get the time off and cover the logistics I plan to enter RACE 34 in the Memphis 100. Has anyone defined the course yet?

Race Starts

Hi Ross,

Regarding the start for the Memphis 100, it will be an air start per the docs at:
http://sportairrace.org/id132.html

We encourage air starts to prevent over-enthusiastic race pilots trying to turn on course before sufficient airpspeed is gained, or from doing anything else they wouldn't otherwise.
Safety and fun are the primary goals of any SARL race. If you happen to place, all the better!

- Mike

The Course

If I can get the time off and cover the logistics I plan to enter RACE 34 in the Memphis 100. Has anyone defined the course yet?

The course is now posted after steping through the Calender of Events, Memphis 100 Air Race, Memphis 100 Info and finally Memphis 100 Course. There is supposed to be a drawing there but neither of my computers can display it. The description below the blank drawing is complete and clear so the drawing isn't really necessary.

Basically, each racer will depart the General Dewitt Spain [M01] airport (fastest plane first - estimated - to minimize on course passing) and fly to a point defined as 35 deg.9.60 minutes N and 90 deg. 7.06 minutes west. I plotted this on the Memphis sectional and it falls near a 745 (525)ft. obstruction. My guess is the start timers will be there and the pre race briefing will tell us to fly at some altitude and position relative to that obstruction, which is on the west side of the river in Arkansas and below the 1,800 ft floor of the Memphis Class B in that area. It is about 4 nm SSW from M01.

The clock starts there and you turn right on a mag. course of 292 deg for 33.6 nm to a small "R in a circle" airport called Lawrence Gliderport. The course description identifies it as 4AR5 but that doesn't show up on the sectional

At Lawrence you turn right on a mag. course of 062 deg. for 41 nm to an airport called Osceola Muni [7M4].

At Osceola Muni turn right again on a mag. course of 185 degrees for 29.5 nm back to the General Dewitt Spain [M01] airport and a 1,000 ft MSL pass down the runway finish.

You will be flying against Cam Benton from Lubbuck, TX at this point. It would be good to get some more RVs in there.

Bob Axsom

Bummer...

If they had a 300 CI or less class, I would join in but I don't think my O-290 will run with the Big Dogs. :(

Well Here's a different look

If they had a 300 CI or less class, I would join in but I don't think my O-290 will run with the Big Dogs. :(

Right now there is only one entry in the RV Red Class (320 ci and under). That is Cam Benton who has a hot RV-4. Chris Murphy also has a hot RV-4 and he is working on the logistics to allow him to enter. If you enter and complete the course you would get a significant number of Sport Air Race League (SARL) points plus an exciting life experience. You will see some interesting airplanes and people.

For example I just checked the entry list and it has increased by one today with the addition of the second Hammer brother. I do not know the story but it is inspiring to see #73 and #91 Glasair I tail draggers and their banner "Hammer Brothers Racing Team" at a race site. I had a younger brother who was a pilot and an A&P mechanic that died 12 years ago before we were able to enjoy anything like that. I don't even know them but what they are doing makes me feel good. And you want to talk about hot airplanes - these guy's are smoking!

I think you will really enjoy the experience if you decide to come and participate or spectate. If you do fly your plane in the race it will be something that will set your plane apart from all of the other airplanes that have never competed in a race. From your post I think you might like that.

I would like to see your airplane and see how well it performs with the O-290.

Bob Axsom

Memphis 100 detail package on Website

Mike Thompson has just added the detail package for the race to the website http://www.sportairrace.org. Click on calendar of events, then Memphis 100, etc. It is a 38 page PDF file with photos of the turn points etc.

Bob Axsom

Right now there is only one entry in the RV Red Class (320 ci and under). That is Cam Benton who has a hot RV-4. Chris Murphy also has a hot RV-4 and he is working on the logistics to allow him to enter. If you enter and complete the course you would get a significant number of Sport Air Race League (SARL) points plus an exciting life experience. You will see some interesting airplanes and people.

For example I just checked the entry list and it has increased by one today with the addition of the second Hammer brother. I do not know the story but it is inspiring to see #73 and #91 Glasair I tail draggers and their banner "Hammer Brothers Racing Team" at a race site. I had a younger brother who was a pilot and an A&P mechanic that died 12 years ago before we were able to enjoy anything like that. I don't even know them but what they are doing makes me feel good. And you want to talk about hot airplanes - these guy's are smoking!

I think you will really enjoy the experience if you decide to come and participate or spectate. If you do fly your plane in the race it will be something that will set your plane apart from all of the other airplanes that have never competed in a race. From your post I think you might like that.

I would like to see your airplane and see how well it performs with the O-290.

Bob Axsom
Bob, I hear you and after spending a number of years auto racing, I think I could really get into this but I still have work to do on my -9. Like finish the gear leg fairings. I think, with enough tuning, like you have done, I could get the -9 up to 200 MPH, easy.

Right now I'm seeing 160 MPH true w/o the gear leg fairings and it looks as though my prop will be very under pitched. I won't really know until we get a rainy day so I can stop flying long enough to do those fairings.

Other things I would like to change (if, I were racing) would be to remove the belly antenna, change the cowling, put in a plenum, and some other tricks I learned along the way.

It would be cool to blow by some bigger engines with my little O-290.

Kind of like beating a Ferrari by four seconds a lap and splitting the times of the Z-06 Vets in my Miata. :D

Things are looking up

Things are looking up for the Memphis 100 RV participation but there is only one in the RV red class. Some 320 cu. in. or less RV should jump in there and give Cam some stimulation.

Bob Axsom

Race # Name Aircraft Class

Race 007 Rene' Dugas Turbo Legend Unlimited
Race 29 Jack Morrison E Racer MK II Unlimited

Race 74 Duncan Sutherland SX300 Sport

Race 09 Tom Martin EVO Rocket Sport FX
Race 25 Bill Snapp RV-8A Sport FX
Race 32 Howard Rhodes F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 33 Jeff Linebaugh F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 47 Bill Hibbing Glasair IIS FT Sport FX
Race 52 Don Saint Glasair IIS FT Sport FX
Race 86 Gene Holcomb F1 Rocket Sport FX

Race 13 James Redmon Berkut 360 RG Blue
Race 36 Larry Henney Lancair 360 RG Blue

Race 51 Rick Pellicciotti Long EZ RG RG Red

Race 23 Chris Brooks RV-6 RV Blue
Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A RV Blue
Race 151 Mark Phillips RV-6A RV Blue

Race 41 Cam Benton RV-4 RV Red

Race 73 Steve Hammer Glasair I TD FX Blue
Race 91 Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD FX Blue

Race 06 Jim Hogue Mustang II FX Red

Race 22 Sam Hoskins Quickie Q200 Sprint

Fastest RV-8 and Two More F1 Rockets

John Huft is bringing his RV-8 across the Rocky Mountains to fly in the Memphis 100 Saturday morning 10-27-07 less than two weeks from now. He won the RV Blue class in the AirVenture Cup race in July with a speed of 235 mph.

The Sport FX class entry field keeps growing and it is now up to 8 entries. Don Saint's Glasair IIS FT is the only non-Rocket in the group. Tom Martin and Wayne Hadath are bringing their EVO and F1 Rockets from Canada.The remaining 5 entries are F1 Rockets. There was an RV-8A and another Glasair but they have dropped out of the race.

There are 5 RVs in the RV blue class (360 Cu. in.) but only 1 in the RV Red class (320 cu.in. or less). The models are: (Blue)1 RV-8; 2 RV-6; 2 RV-6A; (red) RV-4.

Bob Axsom

Don't let that put you off.

I was copilot for Jim Hogue in his Mustang II (Race #06) last week in Lubbock at the West Texas 100 and it was a whole lot of fun. The race was a KICK but meeting and hanging out with all of the racers and support crew was just as much fun.

I probably won't be able to make the Memphis race, but I do plan on attending and competing in future races, and it would be cool to see more RV's in the line up. There were 2 RV's in Lubbock, Cam in his RV4 (#41) and Mike in his RV6 (#26).

If you are even thinking about doing this, make it a point to attend. It's way more fun that boring holes in the sky at your local field.

Last edited:
Entry list up to 27 Airplanes/Pilots

The latest entry list shows 27 planes and pilots plan to participate. It will be a great event if the weather is the same as it is today. I met two racers briefly at Taylor, Texas for the Taylor 100 that it would be nice to see back for this race in the RV Blue Class - Robbie Attaway (may have sold his very fast RV-6) and Tom Moore with a very fast RV-7A. In the AirVenture David Weisgerber, Larry Klusmier and Chris Murphy seemed to have a good time in the RV Red class - it would be good to see those folks again as well. At this time Cam Benton in his RV-4 is the only RV Red class entry. This may be a mistake as I find current entered racer Mark Phillips list in the membership roster as RV Red Class Racer. Current Members of the Sport Air Racing League (free membership - www.sportairrace.org) in the RV Red and Blue Classes that I have not met but would like to are:

Terry Wighs RV Blue (RV-8 may not be complete)
Darrell Reiley Rv Red
Bryan Jones RV Red
James Klusmier RV Blue
Ed Perry RV Blue
Cliff Gerber RV Blue
Dayton Murdock RV Red
Virgil Kapp RV Red
Bobbi Boucher RV Red
Ed Perl RV Blue
Jim Hard RV Blue

One more week to go before the early Saturday morning (I'm hearing 08:00, 10-27-07) race from Memphis' General Dewitt Spain Airport. Hope some more of you RV'rs can make it.

Bob Axsom

The Entry List is up to 29 & counting

Thomas Smith has entered his RV-4 in the RV-Red class and Chris Murphy is trying to work it in with his RV-4 so there will be some competition for Cam Benton in that class. Mike Thompson, Chairman of the Sport Air Racing League (SARL) (which can be joined for free through the website) just announced that the information at the http://www.sportairrace.org web site under the calendar of events, Memphis 100 has been up dated. Even if you have no intention of going to the event it is interesting reading I believe. These folks at Memphis are doing going all out to make this a memorable event - and it is working!

Bob Axsom

can't make it

Thomas Smith has entered his RV-4 in the RV-Red class and Chris Murphy is trying to work it in with his RV-4 so there will be some competition for Cam Benton in that class. Mike Thompson, Chairman of the Sport Air Racing League (SARL) (which can be joined for free through the website) just announced that the information at the http://www.sportairrace.org web site under the calendar of events, Memphis 100 has been up dated. Even if you have no intention of going to the event it is interesting reading I believe. These folks at Memphis are doing going all out to make this a memorable event - and it is working!

Bob Axsom

I was really hoping to get my RV-4 to Memphis for the 100 but could not get the days off. I really wanted to run against the rest of the RV-4 RED group. I will be flying really fast this weekend.... only in the stratosphere...
I'd rather be in Memphis .

Good luck to all the racers!

John Huft appears to be out as well

Another superior pilot/builder/engineer/racer neme that has disappeared from the RV Blue field is John Huft. Even though he is extremely fast in his RV-8 which won the AirVenture Cup Race this year at 235 mph I would sure like to see him in the race. Perhaps his name was accidently dropped during the last update.

Bob Axsom

Memphis 100 Results

I scanned the results sheet that we were given after the race but I find that my tool bar for posting doesn't work. I scanned the sheet as text and edited it to make it fit and also to eliminate as many translation errors as I could find. I also rearranged it to put the classes in order of the fastest winner. The Turbo Legend is a turbo prop jet. Those Hammer brothers are AMAZING! Mark Manda people were looking for you but I believe you hadn't arrived by the time we left - I took photos of all the entries and will send you a CD if you like (MANY bytes).

Bob Axsom

Race# - Name/ Type/ Speed MPH/ Speed KTS

Unlimited

7 - Rene Dugas/ Turbo legend/ 288.86/ 251.01

FX Blue

91 - Bruce Hammer/ Glasair TD/ 255.04/ 221.62
73 - Steve Hammer/ Glasair 1 TD/ 248.00/ 215.50

RG Blue

36 - Larry Henney/ lancair 360/ 252.06/ 219.03
13 - James Redmon/ Berkut 360/ 243.38/ 211.49

Sport FX

14 - Wayne Hadath/ F1 Rocket/ 245.32/ 213.17
9 - Tom Martin/ F1 Evo Rocket/ 244.21/ 212.21
57 - Ray Edmiston/ F1 Rocket/ 234.77/ 204.01
32 - Howard Rhodes/ F1 Rocket/ 231.86/ 201.48
86 - Gene Holcomb/ F1 Evo Rocket/ 230.62/ 200.41
414 - Darren Butcher/ F1 Rocket/ 230.25 200.09
52 - Don Saint/ Glasair IIS FT/ 223.92/ 194.58

RG Red

51 - Rick Pellicciotti/ long EZ RG/ 207.34/ 180.17

Sprint

22 - Sam Hoskins/ Quickie Q-200/ 206.25/ 179.23

RV Blue

71 - Bob Axsom/ RV-6A/ 203.52/ 176.86
26 - Mike Thompson/ RV-6/ 199.11/ 173.02
42 - Ron lee/ RV-6A/ 182.59/ 158.66

FX Red

6 - Jim Hogue/ Mustang II/ 186.13/ 161.74

RV Red

67 - Dwight Smith/ RV-4/ 182.28 158.39

Congratulations on the win Bob - A knot here, a half a knot there....and you're climbing the podium!

I hope you didn't try to keep up with the Turbine Legend....I got a ride in that thing with Rene' a month or so back, and it is seriously impressive!)

Paul