beberle

I've installed a Tosten grip on the copilot side. The billet insert in the top of the stick is a good fit, but there's a tiny amount of movement of the insert in the stick even with the lock nut tightened. Is this common?
Any ideas?

Brian

Not quite sure what you are describing, but the Tosten grip is designed so the "locking" bolt rides in a groove on the insert. There should be no free play up down or left right, but it is designed to allow rotation of the grip.

You could try a wrap or two of aluminum tape around the bushing that goes into the stick. Might tighten things up just right.

In my opinion, the single small screw is fine for an industrial joystick, but inadequate for an airplane. If the insert is not a drive fit in the end of the stick, the screw is flexed every time you pull. I drilled and tapped for multiple screws.

I too had a little wobble with 1 screw, Probably overkill but I drilled and tapped 3 screws equal distant for the Tosten grip. It's secure now. Best pick I could find.
17D03C5B-5753-4848-9748-745794DC4EC1-9604-00000576DDC55F6E_zps9386a3a5.jpg

J-B Weld. Bushing into stick. Prep insert and stick first with coarse sandpaper followed by acetone to clean. Mine have been immovable for 150+ hours.

Thanks for the info gents! Yes, I was talking about a slight play of the bushing in the stick. The set screw does a great job of keeping the stick fixed at a certain angle. I might try metal tape as a shim, but I REALLY like the idea of JB Weld. It'll make removing the stick a little trickier, but not impossible.JB Weld and Duct Tape , oh yeah!