JonJay

Well Known Member
RV6, IO360, C/S H-BA, 330 hours.

Recently, over the past month or so, my RPM's show 2750 +- for a split second on roll out. This has never happened before. I tried applying throttle more gently, but still get this very quick overspeed hit. It is literaly a blip showing on my EM, maybe not even a second.
My climb out is right on at 2670 or so. I also flew yesterday WOT +- 2000' 60deg. F, and saw approx. 2670 with the prop pushed in.
So, I am not too keen on messing with the governor stops as they seem to be set where they should be.
I am not overly concerned as the event is such a short duration, but wanted to see if anyone out there has an idea of why this would occur, and only show up over the past few weeks.

I was getting a bit of a over speed much like yours right at the beginning (during first few flights)
I contacted Hartzel and MT and both advised of adjusting the stops and it was easy to do. I still get a bit if I have to do a go around or execute a miss approach but not on the normal take off.

Try a miss approach and see how much of a over speed you get. If it is much, it may need some minor adjustment.

I contacted Hartzel and MT and both advised of adjusting the stops and it was easy to do.

Just to clarify the "stops" I believe referred to above are the prop low pitch stops, not the gov stop. This would be the correct way to address your T/O overspeed.

Ok, that makes sense...

Just to clarify the "stops" I believe referred to above are the prop low pitch stops, not the gov stop. This would be the correct way to address your T/O overspeed.

...as I believe the governor is doing its job just fine.
Thanks

Fine pitch stop, me to.

I had the same problem since day one. I would be fiddeling with the throttle not to go over 2.700 RPM on take-off, with my Whirlwind 200RV, otherwise the Dynon EMS would be shouting "RPM HIGH"!

I did a static check and got 2.680-2.690 RPM. Straight and level flight it would max. at 2.690 RPM.

Last Saturday I changed the low pitch stop from 13,5? to 15?, as suggested by Whirlwind and others here on the forums. It took a couple of hours because I had to take the cylinder off and add a few washers, that they sent me.

I have not tested yet, so I can't say if this has cured the problem.

Regards, Tonny