BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I understand that the canopy locks as supplied by Vans are basically just intended to keep curious folks out as a real theif will take out the canopy with a pry bar. It just seems to me that there might be a better way.

Has anyone done anything other than the side locks or positioned the locks differently with some other locking bar/pin/?? mechinism?

Pictures really appreciated :)

Thanks
Bill S
7a finishing

Smith & Wesson is a preferred method...:eek:

Really, the more you try to lock it down, the more damage your plane will take on.

I've heard some say that it is easier to fly home with no radios than with no radios and a broken canopy so I just use a canopy cover and hope for the best. It's a hard call. Larry

Yep...leave 'em unlocked! Witness a friend of mine with a 185. Flew it out east somewhere to get a whole slew of work done on it including 2 new doors, new window, new windshield, etc..

On his way back, parked the plane overnight and locked it - but left his 4 new bose headsets in plain view. Next morning, you guessed it. Some hooligan not only broke one of his brand new windows, but pried on his brand new door, and then stole his $4K worth of new bose headsets!

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that if someone wants the stuff, they are going to take it so I'd rather not have them break something else, and then take the stuff anyway!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Theft and Damage

As long as crooks are left unchallenged by good folks they will continue. So if any body sees em beat the tar out of em.

no lock

My 2 cents... After years in the auto service biz, I can tell you it is best to leave everything unlocked. Cars locked up on my lot suffered glass damage in addition to theft. Those left unlocked got thier doors opened gently, and then thier dash panels trashed. Tried everything, then I got a big old mean bitin' Rottweiler to watch em for me at night. Problem solved.

All the best....Chris
Waiting for FAA!!!

What about an alarm

What about one of those lightweight electronic alarms? Don't know how much they weight but if hooked to a contact switch would work.

Noise is not a thief's best friend.

Also, could one of those cheap cells you buy be hooked up somehow to call you when that happens too?

Funny you should mention alarms....we in fact are working on a design for an aircraft alarm system. Will be a while before it's even close to ready, but we're at least starting!

Cheers,
Stein

Include the strobes

Funny you should mention alarms....we in fact are working on a design for an aircraft alarm system. Will be a while before it's even close to ready, but we're at least starting!

Cheers,
Stein

Wonder if the alarm could activate the strobes and have a piercing noise inside the cockpit. Be sure there is a siren is inside the cockpit so the thief would experience ear pain.

Have a kill switch hidden just so it couldn't activate when plane in use. Key lock activate outside.

You could leave unlocked and when opened, noise and lights go off and not get the plexiglas or lock broken out. Canopy lock still needed for places like Sun N Fun to keep honest people honest.

Best solution. Get a hanger and lock up the entire plane, not just the cabin at your home airport.

Just thought of this - image a halon extinquisher hooked up to an alarm!!!

Just Flying Around

Webb
Imagine this , the OWNER is flying around and the strobes go on. A ear piercing alarm goes off, the fire extinguisher blows, and the pilot fills his pants! A lot worse has happened to builders.:eek: