kent

I'm New Here
I have already drilled my canopy to the sliding frame and removed the canopy
to adjust the width(from plexiglass canopy spreading) when I inadverdantly bent the forward bow. It is bad enough that it wrinkled the tube and upon
trying to remove the wrinkle I have cracked the tube. What do I do now -
order a new canopy frame and try and use the existing holes in the canopy
to drill the canopy frame, order both new or try and get someone to repair
the canopy frame(someone to weld a new piece of tubing in)? I didn't find
a price on Van's site for the WD-640 canopy frame - so I e-mailed them asking the price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..........sign me
depressed!

I did nearly the same thing on mine while trying to "adjust" the frame a bit. It broke the front tube about 3 or 4 inches to the right of the latch right through one of the holes for the plexiglass. I made a template to keep the hole spacing correct, cut out about a 1" section and welded in a splice tube and used weld bead to build the surface back up. After grinding everything down smooth, redrilling the hole using the template, and a little of Van's touch up paint, you'd be hard pressed to find the damage. No need to scrap the frame!

Thanks for the reply - I think I will try the same approach as you did - I can
only imagine that buying and freighting the frame to Spearman would be 500
dollars or more. Mine did not break completely into but I suspect it has
weakend that point enough that a splice will be necessary. Thanks again -
now maybe I can at least sleep tonight.

Hi Kent,
Sorry to hear about your problem. As I read your post I could feel your pain:eek:. I saw Rod's reply and agree with his solution. I'd only buy a new frame or plexi as a last resort.

Something like this:

-Cut out (remove) the bent/cracked/wrinkled section.
-Order some replacement tubing that is long enough for you to put the appropriate arc in to match your bow in the 'bad' spot.
-Cleco the plexi onto the frame and place it on tracks
-Hold your new section of tubing where the cut out piece was for sizing and cut the new tubing.
-Weld it in place then match drill the hole(s) through the appropriate plexi hole(s).

Basically...what Rod said :).

Good Luck!

Been there, done that. I followed the directions and on that final "tweeking" got a snap in the front bow. I paid an aircraft welder about 100 dollars to repair the break. He did a nice job but the holes were out of register. I ended up buying an new frame and used the plexi holes to drill the new frame holes. It worked out ok but I do have a couple of extra plexi holes where the frame didn't hit it just right. Fortunately, I blocked out how much the new frame and $hipping costs were. My old frame is now yard art.

Steve Johnson
RV9A finishing up