Mark Burns

Well Known Member
Can someone post some photos on how they have installed these quick release pins?

I understand that no one has proven that the idea does work, but I believe it would.

Are there any downfalls to having them?

Thanks,
Mark

IMO ... just because the front is unhooked ... doesn't mean the canopy will slide back enough to clear the rollbar and then lift back and separate from the rear rail.

You may be right

n468ac said:
IMO ... just because the front is unhooked ... doesn't mean the canopy will slide back enough to clear the rollbar and then lift back and separate from the rear rail.

Christoper,
You may be right. But if I really needed to get out...as in a bad fire....I honestly believe I could get the canopy back those 2 inches and then shove it up. Of course it would be really nice to be wearing a parachute at that time. I used to skydive, and if I had to choose between burning alive or making one last jump without a chute I'd choose the jump for sure.

I remember reading about cases where people have forgotten to latch the canopy. They said it moved back about 2" and stayed there. I'm making an assumption here that it wouild be easy to open those 2 inches.

Mark

Last edited:
Inquiring minds want to know.....

Mark Burns said:
..........I remember reading about cases where people have forgotten to latch the canopy. They said it moved back about 2" and stayed there........
With all of 20 RV hours under my belt, I forgot to latch the slider canopy. It was only when I noticed the ambient cabin noise didn't sound quite right that I noticed the error of my ways. I then tried to latch it. Well, it didn't move back 2 inches. In fact, its latch remained unmoved and unsecured against the wrong side of its (catch nipple?). For that matter, it would not move aft no matter how hard I tried. I gave up trying when I soon realized that canopy was not going anywhere. Out of curosity, I climbed to a safer altitude and slowed down to around 65-70 knots and tried to move it again. Not happening. Later, upon a typically uneventful landing roll out, the canopy once again resumed working normally.

I recall reading some time ago about a slider equipped RV-9A that was severely damaged upon landing when its pilot, overly distracted by its unlatched canopy attempted to "hold it shut" with one hand while landing. If he only knew.

I have some difficulty imagining the unlikely scenario in which a parachute wearing pilot flying a slider equipped RV successfully opening its undamaged canopy and bailing from his stricken aircraft.

I'm curious....Does any documented evidence exist of any such occurance ever taking place?

Mark Burns said:
Can someone post some photos on how they have installed these quick release pins?

I understand that no one has proven that the idea does work, but I believe it would.

Are there any downfalls to having them?

Thanks,
Mark
Go here and scroll to the bottom.

http://bowenaero.com/mt3/archives/2003/11/canopy.html

No problems with them and no regrets. They would be perfect if they were 1/4" shorter, but that doesn't interfere with anything. If nothing else it makes it a lot easier to take off the canopy for cleaning or whatever -- no tools needed.

As a skydiver my perspective may be different then most pilots...but In the event of a high altitude catastrophic fire or airframe failure, i would much rather spend the last few minutes of my life trying to release the canopy than just sitting there waiting for impact or be engulfed in smoke and flames.

Can you get out?

I recall that there was an incident where the pilot of an RV, I am pretty sure it was an 8 (which would have been a slider) exited his burning aircraft. Unfortunately he was not wearing a cute and was killed.

Therefore it would seem that a determined pilot can indeed get out of an RV slider in flight.

Axe

I carry an axe on board in the event of an off-field landing and flipover.

I'd venture to say that you could break it open in flight as well....especially if you're really, really motivated :eek:

Regards,