alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Any idea how to set the two rivets circled? The canopy deck gets in the way such that even my thinnest of bucking bars (1/2") and squeezer yokes (used as bucking bars) are too thick. I managed to get the ones right under the spar cap, but neither of the two aft of it. Because they are 426 3-7 rivets, whatever bucking bar I might use needs to have some mass. I've heard/seen people use pulled rivets here, but since the holes are dimpled for 3/32 and since it has to go through the thick longeron, I'm not sure what I could use. It's been so long since I did any signficant riveting that I've forgot all my tricks!

Any thoughts re: what you did to get these couple of rivets would be appreciated.

Blind rivets

without seeing the other side and not being familiar with the slider setup I'd say install a couple of 3/32 Csk blind pop rivets, unfortunately I don't have a part No for you but they do exist, i'm sure someone else will have another option or part numbers to help you out. Good luck with it.

I used a 1/4" or 3/8" thick steel bar I had around the shop. It was about 8" long x 2" wide so it had some mass. Notch one corner as required to reach the rivet tail.

Cherry Part Number

CR3412-4- is a 1/8 " rivet with a NAS 1097 head that will fit your dimple.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Spruce doesn't seem to carry those CherryMax "oops" rivets, but the back rivet plate method gives me an idea if I can't find them elsewhere.

I've had success slipping a crow bar behind places like that. Even bucked one non-structural rivet with a slotted screw driver, pushing on the center portion of it with a bucking bar. Still made a decent shop head.

Canopy frame after deck

I know, the 9 is different than the 7, but, on my 7 I installed the forward canopy frame after riveting the top deck.

Oh yeah, forgot about those - they were a bit of a pain. I got the edge of a backrivet plate in there.

CR3412-4- is a 1/8 " rivet with a NAS 1097 head that will fit your dimple.
Does anyone know where I can get these cherrymax 1/8" "oops" rivets to get at those couple of forward top skin/longeron rivets around the roll bar and spar uprights? (I thought I had found a thread with the sizes/lengths needed but for the life of me I can't find it).

Does anyone know where I can get these cherrymax 1/8" "oops" rivets to get at those couple of forward top skin/longeron rivets around the roll bar and spar uprights? (I thought I had found a thread with the sizes/lengths needed but for the life of me I can't find it).

Actually, I found them but the number is different from that noted above. The number is cr3214-4-x (not cr3412-4-x). GAHCo has them in single or packages of 10 here:
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/newSearch.asp?ProductNumber=cr3214-4-2&Submit=Search
Hope this helps the next person.